Nested Projects Preview Delay

Spectralis schrieb am 05.05.2014 um 23:01 Uhr
I'm finding it impossible to edit using nested projects because the preview window does not update when the timeline reaches a nested project. There is a delay where the previous clip continues to display. I have the same problem with either the GPU switched on or off. This happens even when I have the preview window set to 'draft'. I'm not experiencing this problem when I use clips just when I try to use nested projects in a project. I've used nested projects before in VP12 without this problem occurring.

I have a pretty powerful PC and graphics card. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Kommentare

cold ones schrieb am 06.05.2014 um 00:04 Uhr
What's in your nested files? The more complex and layered they are the more sluggish the nested file will play. Also, as has been noted on this forum, the format of movies make a difference, too.

On my system, graphics and titles in the nested file really slow things down, too.
Spectralis schrieb am 06.05.2014 um 01:14 Uhr
Ok thanks for that advice. Perhaps the nested files I used in VP12 were less complex. I suppose I could try rendering the nested projects first and then using those video files as a guide in the nested project. What other ways are there to work with nested files that slow down preview?
cold ones schrieb am 06.05.2014 um 19:51 Uhr
Those are the main issues that I'm aware of. There's a certain overhead for video FX applied, too, but it's hard to predict. Right now I'm working on a program with 4 nested files, each of which is about 40 minutes long and include multicam footage (just to make things interesting, 3 different cameras & 3 different movie formats, .mp4, mov & mts.) Each camera has its own Media FX on it, sometimes cropping, etc. But upon nesting I don't see the lag that you do.

There are other issues (I've recently stopped putting any audio FX on nested files because of the additional time it takes Vegas to render the sfap file) but that wouldn't affect your playback, I don't think.

Rendering nested projects will most likely solve your problem, but you lose the flexibility to easily change/update the nested files. Others will know better than I whether or not additional RAM, etc might help too.
Spectralis schrieb am 06.05.2014 um 21:22 Uhr
It's a bit unpredictable with the nested files - sometimes the preview is delayed and at other times it isn't. When I render out the whole project everything is fine so it might be to do with preview and RAM although I have 12GB installed. Maybe there are a lot of variables including how the computer system functions and the type of nested files. I'll keep experimenting with different settings.