Comments

Steve Grisetti wrote on 7/15/2013, 2:04 PM
If you'd like to post a link to your current draft of it on YouTube or Vimeo, we'll be glad to offer suggestions and criticisms. And we won't be cruel. I promise.

As for what's lame, weak or dated -- well, it's hard to say. But as long as you don't find yourself lazily repeating what you've seen a hundred times before, you should be okay.

And then there's this:
Kimberly wrote on 7/15/2013, 2:53 PM
Did anyone else notice at about 2:15 that she sings ". . . the turkey . . ." while the camera flashes to a teen holding a platter of baby back ribs : o
vtxrocketeer wrote on 7/15/2013, 3:42 PM
Well, shucks, I pressed "play" and after getting over the gag reflex a semi-useful thought emerged: if your kid had a sleepover with friends and wanted you to make a music video out of the evening, that one would be totally awesome. What kid wouldn't love it? As a commercial endeavor, however, yechh.
wwjd wrote on 7/15/2013, 4:29 PM
kinda dint wanna go public yet since I have yet to:

- fix all contrast and color
- add burn transitions, flares
- check for timing errors
- crop out issues in each clip (bad backgrounds, hair issues etc)
- add grundgy old film effects in certain parts
- special color grade on story parts
- more I am forgetting....

this cut was approved as final (pre the above) so it will stay, but it would help if people tore it up, and told me what looks st00pid, silly, non-fitting, whatever, that I might learn from others. this was a fun zero budget project, for free, for a buddy, and I've never done a music video, but don't cut it any slack. I adore harsh but true constructive criticism.

It's 340MB so DOWNLOAD instead of watch online:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20rx8a3ekahx4he/tsimp%207-14-2013%20HD720.mp4
Eddy Bee wrote on 7/15/2013, 4:47 PM
An outstanding song and strong artist performance trump everything else. A creative groundbreaking video usually won't save a bad or forgettable song, but if the song is stellar, people will come back again and again to watch. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have both :)
ushere wrote on 7/15/2013, 6:54 PM
340mb!?

you've got to be joking?

wwjd wrote on 7/15/2013, 9:36 PM
really? it's 720 HD footage done in pretty high quality. I plan to finish in 1080...

come on.. one quick download, watch and delete. :D
OldJack wrote on 7/15/2013, 9:37 PM
Why not do full screen?
TheHappyFriar wrote on 7/15/2013, 10:51 PM
Ok, I guess I'm the only one who downloaded and watched. :)

Flow seemed good. Not sure if I like the key at the end, maybe instead of freezing it have it land and sit on the ground (if that was already shot I guess). Normally for these kinds of videos you have a short leadup to tell the story. Instead of so many shots of the band have more of her leaving.

Why is "producer" in there? :)

Not much else to say as the cut is locked and you haven't finished coloring, fx, etc. that would be what I could also comment on. :)
ushere wrote on 7/16/2013, 1:39 AM
greg, i appreciate that it's hd, etc., but, given that many people DON'T have stellar adsl, or are on limited data plans, etc., 340mb is really pushing it imho.

i watch a fair amount of clips, and have produced a great many myself, and, given the nature of the web (we're not talking broadcast), a file size rate of maybe 50mb a minute would be my maximum consideration for viewing - and even then i'd still probably knock it down to 340kb for viewing rather than have it constantly buffering.

i know, i know, we're all here trying to produce the perfect picture, etc., but the reality lies in the content, not necessarily the quality. most of the clips i've done in the past we're for broadcast, but if was aiming for net distribution, i'd be looking at fast download / streaming rather than ultra high quality....

then again, there are these:

Rory Cooper wrote on 7/16/2013, 6:01 AM
Nice Leslie the plastic flowers augmented the plastic jumpsuit nicely, should gone the whole hog and go over budget with a green jumpsuit.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 7/16/2013, 6:36 AM
greg, i appreciate that it's hd, etc., but, given that many people DON'T have stellar adsl, or are on limited data plans, etc., 340mb is really pushing it imho.

Not according to the "salesman" (whatever they're called) at the Mac store when he was trying to sell my dad and I on using a Mac instead of a Windows machine.

EDIT: this is also a forum where people link lots of large downloads, tutorials, etc. 350mb isn't bad, if you can't download you can't download, but so far nobody's saying anything about the video he linked.
Laurence wrote on 7/16/2013, 7:37 AM
Looks good to me. You might want to push the lip movement ahead just a little for better looking sync. I have no doubt that the sync you did is correct, but she is a little behind and moving it forward a hair would look better.
Steve Grisetti wrote on 7/16/2013, 7:50 AM
I liked it a lot too, wwjd!

Lots of interesting things going on. Your singer looks great. The band looks great. The video keeps pace with the music.

It's as good as 95% of the music videos I've seen. So great job!
wwjd wrote on 7/16/2013, 9:18 AM
Thanks for watching.

Full screen - I prefer messing in Wide Screen aspect ratio, so I shot it all framed like that.

340MB - this was a HiDef review file for my buddy, not meant for online use. In the end it will go on Youtube, iTunes, Vimeo etc and be scaled for that. Never meant to share this... but did. :) sorry about the size.

Key at end - aw, that's one of my favorite parts! :D When the key lands, it lays flat and you barely notice it. So, I did some tricks for the fun of it. There's also a small lens flare that accents it frozen there.

Good idea doing more story! The producer wanted the focus to be on the singer girl, so I kinda had the shoehorn in the story where I could.

"PRODUCER" was an in-joke for my buddy and will not be in the finished render. just a fun ego jab. :)

Lawrence, is it behind? I think I do okay with timing, but have noticed that playback seems lagged depending on what I playback on. My work laptop, one play is like it is not synced, and the next time it is. It's weird and I will research further. Vegas preview is spot on, certain files are spot on, others seem to be off. Still investigating.

Thank you, Steve. My reference video is PARTY IN THE USA by Miley - aiming for that sort of look and direction as best I can.

Thanks for the input, gang! And sorry again for the big download.
TeetimeNC wrote on 7/16/2013, 10:11 AM
wwjd, you can upload to vimeo and 1) hide it from vimeo so seaches don't expose it, 2) set option to prevent downloads, and 3) assign a password needed for viewing and publish the link and password here. As soon as the reviews are in you can delete it or change the password. This might elicit more feedback and also meet your needs for limited exposure.

/jerry
wwjd wrote on 7/16/2013, 12:15 PM
good idea, jerry, but it's not a big deal. just gonna finish the video and move on. Thanks for the input guys!
OldJack wrote on 7/16/2013, 12:27 PM
[I]Full screen - I prefer messing in Wide Screen aspect ratio, so I shot it all framed like that.[/I]

I miss spoke with the term Full Screen, I meant "Fill" the widescreen and not letter box. Maybe it just looks like letterbox in the example. Good job with the video!
wwjd wrote on 7/16/2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks!

it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio, movie style, by design. not sure if watching online stretches to sides of screen or not, but will be 2:35:1 when fully done
ddm wrote on 7/16/2013, 12:47 PM
I was surprised that the thing played perfectly smooth for me streaming. From dropbox? Crazy. As far as the video? Fine, I can't stand music videos as a rule and I certainly don't keep up with the latest trends but yours seemed to be "as good" as most and I don't mean that in a demeaning way. The only critique I thought of was that I wished the close up of the singer was lit a bit more dramatically, too late now, I know, but that's all I really came up with. Nicely done, really, lots of production value.
vtxrocketeer wrote on 7/16/2013, 12:57 PM
I couldn't download from DB, but it streamed from DB smooth as butter on my end. Go figure.

Nice job! It felt a little like a throwback to 80's pop...in a good way. I'd be interested to see a finished version with all the polish.
wwjd wrote on 7/16/2013, 2:09 PM
I asked the singer to be toned down, duller in those ring shots - was just going to drop a few in but they ended up looking way better than the other stuff I shot for the first part.

The writer is a big 80's pop fan so I guess that is a perfect compliment. :)
(The INDEMNUS Project went live on amazon and itunes today - not really an ad, just sayin...)

I'll post the final in the forums when it is done.
Byron K wrote on 7/16/2013, 8:04 PM
Great job imho. Enjoyed it enough to watch it 2x!
The thing I noticed is the slight jello effect on the closeup in the car.
wwjd wrote on 7/16/2013, 8:55 PM
Good catch there. Good ol' rolling shutter effect.
Ima pull the video down now, as it served it's purpose.

Thanks all!
I'll post the final whenever it gets done.