digitizing footage from field sequential 3d

jhoward456 wrote on 4/6/2021, 5:28 PM

I have vhs-c tapes with 3d field sequential footage shot with a Toshiba sk-3d7 camcorder in the 1990s.I would like to try to digitize the stereo so as not to wear down the tapes.I also have had a problem viewing with shutter glasses/crt tv as the refresh rate cycles 3d to reverse 3d but can view some 3d using the vhs-c tapes in a vhs adapter to play in a regular vcr hooked to a crt tv. To somehow pull out the left/right and recreate a side by side would be the ultimate.I have digitized the tapes with a basic analog converter to save the content but can not do anything with that other than to view in 2d thats "shadowed".I have Vegas Pro 8 on a laptop and Vegas Pro 12 on my pc but how do I get the left/right out of the analog field sequential? is this possible?

Comments

3d87c4 wrote on 4/7/2021, 2:13 AM

If you capture it from a conventional vcr do you end up with the left and right images interlaced in the resulting file. If so, then wouldn't this be the line alternate mode supported by Vegas?

In this case maybe you could load the video into a 3D project, set the input media's stereoscopic 3D mode to line alternate, and edit it like any other 3D project.

jhoward456 wrote on 4/7/2021, 6:52 AM

Thanks for your reply.This is a screenshot of what my analog converter captures.I set up a project with line alternate and loaded the content and I get the same result.Vegas capture doesnt recognize the converter so it doesnt open if I try to capture that way.I am using a Honest Tech usb 2.0 vidbox.

3d87c4 wrote on 4/7/2021, 11:30 AM

Just to be thorough...(my apologies if you already know this)

Your project settings should be set to the way you want the final video to appear (or the way you want to look at it while you are editing). Here are the
project settings for one of my 3D edits:

The media settings tell Vegas the format of the clips you load onto the timeline. To set the media settings you right click on the clip and select properties:

Then, in the media tab, you set the Stereoscopic 3D Mode of the clip (side by side half, in my example):

This can also be done in the Project Media area---handy if you want to set the properties of all the clips in your project at once.

In your case a combination of side-by-side full project and line alternate media should yield a side-by-side image on your screen. If not, then I'm way off base (sorry) or the capture device may be changing the file format so it's incompatible with the line alternate format.

I'm going to tinker with the image you shared to see if I can get it to work. Can you share an actual video clip?

3d87c4 wrote on 4/7/2021, 11:45 AM

No luck experimenting with the image. I think the capture device/software needs to preserve the interlacing in the digitized file for Vegas to edit it.

3d87c4 wrote on 4/7/2021, 1:28 PM

I found an old thread on this subject here:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/converting-toshiba-3d-camcorder-sk3d7-videos-to-current-bluray-for-sony-hmzt1.1417052/

From the comments it appears the line alternate idea won't work.

Greg-Kintz wrote on 4/7/2021, 3:47 PM

I'm pretty sure I've had it work before. The key (if I recall correctly) is to set the project pixel properties in Vegas to .09 and/or also the asset properties to .09 Depending on your capture card, the pixel type can be key on if line alternate will work automatically. Render left and right as needed then adjust from there.

If you want to know if the captures are keeping the field-sequential information intact, open file in Virtual Dub (freeware) use the interlace filter and set to split fields to side by side. If the split images are still doubled images and not discrete left and right, then the digital capture was not done correctly.

jhoward456 wrote on 4/7/2021, 4:06 PM

If you capture it from a conventional vcr do you end up with the left and right images interlaced in the resulting file. If so, then wouldn't this be the line alternate mode supported by Vegas?

In this case maybe you could load the video into a 3D project, set the input media's stereoscopic 3D mode to line alternate, and edit it like any other 3D project.

I found an old thread on this subject here:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/converting-toshiba-3d-camcorder-sk3d7-videos-to-current-bluray-for-sony-hmzt1.1417052/

From the comments it appears the line alternate idea won't work.

I think you are correct in that the capture device needs to preserve the field sequential aspect of the video but not sure what can do that.

jhoward456 wrote on 4/7/2021, 4:10 PM

I'm pretty sure I've had it work before. The key (if I recall correctly) is to set the project pixel properties in Vegas to .09 and/or also the asset properties to .09 Depending on your capture card, the pixel type can be key on if line alternate will work automatically. Render left and right as needed then adjust from there.

If you want to know if the captures are keeping the field-sequential information intact, open file in Virtual Dub (freeware) use the interlace filter and set to split fields to side by side. If the split images are still doubled images and not discrete left and right, then the digital capture was not done correctly.

I tried to open a file in Virtual Dub but got the error message-mpeg input filter,invalid pack at position 3,marker bit not set,possibly mpeg2 stream

Greg-Kintz wrote on 4/7/2021, 6:05 PM

Hmm.. Try using the Virtual Dub 2 version, as that one is kept current in regards to codecs and further refinement. Still free. The older plain Virtual Dub is not equipped for many of the codec variants available.

Can you cloud a brief sample of the 3-D F/S captured video?

jhoward456 wrote on 4/8/2021, 9:05 PM

Thanks again,VDub2 did allow the file to open and play.Here is a screenshot.I could cloud a sample but never have done that b4 and not sure best way to do it.

fr0sty wrote on 4/9/2021, 6:12 PM

Every gmail address comes with 15gb of free storage on Google Drive, so I'd recommend making a gmail address if you do not already have one, going to google drive, uploading your file to there, once it is in Drive, you can right click on the file and go to share, and in the sharing settings, change the visibility to "anyone with the link". Then click "copy link" and paste that link here.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Radeon VII

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

jhoward456 wrote on 4/10/2021, 7:09 AM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cFdWnMUTaQI5yU2tZiEchNe0FppHhVVU/view?usp=sharing

hopefully this will work.This is footage from the 3d toshiba camcorder sk 3d7 that is on a vhs-c tape outputted from a sanyo vcr to the analog capture vidbox 5.0 made by honest tech

Greg-Kintz wrote on 4/11/2021, 10:52 PM

Hi Jhoward456,

Thanks for providing the upload. It does unfortunately confirm the fields were inadvertently blended. Adding to that, every once in awhile you can see the encoder actually ditching an entire field momentarily, as the image switches ever so briefly to just one eye side. Perhaps try to capture at a higher or highest quality setting?

I had made some cheat sheet steps for Virtual Dub 2 and uploaded a field-sequential digitized clip before seeing this latest post. If you would still like them just let me know.

3d87c4 wrote on 4/12/2021, 12:38 AM

Just found your post in the Video Heip forum, looks like you're making progress.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401404-Converting-vhs-c-tapes-with-3d-field-sequential-video-from-Toshiba-3d-cam

I'd love to hear how you ultimately resolve this.

jhoward456 wrote on 4/12/2021, 4:41 PM

I downloaded VDub2 and it allowed me to capture interlaced using the Honest Tech analog capture device I already have(I did not know it could do this).I initially set it at uncompressed so 22 sec turned out to be about 340mb.So then all I had to do was open this file in stereoscopic player and set my preferred viewing method (side by side) and I was able to view the footage in 3d.I still have to try other settings other than uncompressed to have a smaller file size as each tape I have runs about 30-60min of content.Right now all I'm going to do is digitize the content and possibly edit later whether I may use/try Avisynth,VDub or Vegas.I'm just happy I'm able to digitize and view the 25 year old tapes in 3d without running the tape and using the shutter glasses.I dont know how many others may still have their Toshiba camcorder tapes untouched.Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions,I really appreciate it as someone who doesnt know much about editing/technical issues.Btw,my Honest Tech capture device has worked very well for my needs.I've been able to capture many vhs,hi-8 and now the 3d vhs-c tapes,many going back 20-30 years.All my dv and hdv tapes are captured using firewire with either Vegas or hdv split or windv.Next is 8mm film with possibly a Wolverine scanner and then using Vegas to edit