CorTed wrote on 9/2/2008, 2:25 PM
Amazing Voice. He will be missed...
richard-courtney wrote on 9/2/2008, 3:51 PM
I agree that voice we all have heard but never saw the face (unless you have
seen him on the Geico commercial).

fldave wrote on 9/2/2008, 3:56 PM
Another that I really enjoyed:

Bob Greaves wrote on 9/19/2008, 5:46 AM
Somehow I missed this and found out yesterday. This one had me saddened profoundly and I am not realy sure why.

What a voice! What a VO career! I loved his Hollywood Video ad and he enjoyed spoofing himself.

Coursedesign wrote on 9/19/2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for these clips, what a blast!

Don actually did have a chauffeured limo for many years, until new technology allowed him to do his work at home instead.

The limo wasn't really an extravagance, as it allowed him to get through L.A. traffic and arrive "rested and ready."

And cartoon voices get significantly higher residuals than live actors...

Jim H wrote on 9/19/2008, 6:33 PM
I often liken my own voice to that of Don's... that is after a bit of slowing down in Vegas.
riredale wrote on 9/20/2008, 6:49 PM
I find it fascinating that people actually make a living with their speaking voices (as opposed to singing, for example). Some people make a very good living.

The reason I find it fascinating is that if we took a random sampling of people walking down Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica and recorded them reading a passage, maybe 10% of the voices would sound pretty decent and maybe 10% of those would sound really good. Why then, would a production outfit pay lots of cash to one person when any of thousands could do the same thing, and for a fraction of the money?

Maybe it's that people have become accustomed to a particular voice, in much the same way that people know that a Big Mac will taste the same in any Mcdonalds they see, no matter where in the world they are.