Envelope points do not move Inserting Time

andyjbm wrote on 7/31/2020, 7:53 AM

Hi there,

Can anyone help? This is an issue for me in Vegas Video Pro versions 14 and 17.

I'm in the middle of a project that needs changes involving inserting time in the middle of it. Throughout the video there are segment links to camera with vox audio on one track and a music bed on another. The music bed has volume envelope points to duck the music when the presenter speaks and come up again after.

My problem is that when I use Insert>Time everything moves after the insert point except the volume envelope points.

The workflow is:

Check that "Lock Envelopes to events" is enabled.

Put cursor at insert point

Ctrl+A

Insert>Time (from menu) (Set the time) enter.

The audio clip moves but the volume envelope points do not.

If I drag the audio clip on the timeline the events DO move with the clip. But do not move with the clip using Insert Time.

I'm having to manually move audio clips with volume envelope points on every time which is getting tedious as I can't seem to group select volume envelope points and move them separate to the clip. I can only move envelope points individually.

As an aside deleting time by ctrl+A then clicking in a track somewhere with no clip to select all track headers, then selecting a loop region and pressing delete then F to ripple edit (auto ripple turned off) does bring the envelope points back with it.

Why does this not work for Insert Time?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Andy.

Comments

j-v wrote on 7/31/2020, 8:37 AM

You have to use this ripple option

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W10 home version 2004 build 19041.264, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti.
Laptop  :Asus ROG GL753VD, W10 home version 2004 build 19041.264, CPU i7 7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, GeF. GTX 1050 (2 GB) + Int. HD Graphics 630(2GB).VP 16,17,18 and VMS PL 16,17 are installed, all latest builds
Both Nvidia GPU's have driver version 451.77 Studio Driver, desktop the Studio DHC driver
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEMCELL DONOR !!!

andyjbm wrote on 7/31/2020, 11:10 AM

Hi j-v,

Thanks for the reply

So I have to have auto-ripple turned on? Is that what you're saying?

I've not tried that ripple option purely as I have auto ripple off and didn't think it would be relevant with it turned off.

I prefer to have auto ripple off and use F, ctrl+F, shift+ctrl+F when I want to ripple edit - usually a delete...

My workaround is to create some solid colour that's the same length as the time I want to insert, and then ctrl+Shift+V insert that at the insert point.

But it didn't occur to me the option would be relevant even with ripple-edit off. I thought Insert>Time would be a globally absolute operation: "snip here and give me time at the cursor" action rather than a ripple edit.

So are envelope points considered markers for the purposes of this ripple option? They could do with being a separate option - "All tracks, Markers, Regions and Envelope Points"!

Thanks, I'll give that a try shortly next time I need to insert time!

Andy.

j-v wrote on 7/31/2020, 11:16 AM

I said you have to turn it on for this action of you. Directly after that time insert you can switch it off again.
It is an option that you can turn on and off if you wish at any time.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W10 home version 2004 build 19041.264, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti.
Laptop  :Asus ROG GL753VD, W10 home version 2004 build 19041.264, CPU i7 7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, GeF. GTX 1050 (2 GB) + Int. HD Graphics 630(2GB).VP 16,17,18 and VMS PL 16,17 are installed, all latest builds
Both Nvidia GPU's have driver version 451.77 Studio Driver, desktop the Studio DHC driver
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEMCELL DONOR !!!

andyjbm wrote on 7/31/2020, 11:24 AM

Yep j-v that's the badger!

An option which becomes relevant under a function even when it's turned off. Who'd have thought...

Not the most intuitive this software sometimes. How about button selections for ripple options in the insert time dialogue box?

A heap of ways that could have been more intuitive!

Thanks again j-v

Andy.

andyjbm wrote on 7/31/2020, 11:26 AM

I said you have to turn it on for this action of you. Directly after that time insert you can switch it off again.
It is an option that you can turn on and off if you wish at any time.

So it worked by changing the ripple option but still having auto ripple OFF.

It looks like insert>time uses this ripple option setting irrespective of whether auto-ripple is on or not.

A.

andyjbm wrote on 7/31/2020, 11:37 AM

Just to conclude, looking back at a few other posts I saw elsewhere about envelope points not moving.

I think the important point that is missed by those new to this is that the ripple options under this auto ripple button are still relevant even when auto ripple is turned off.

My thinking walking into this problem is that those options will be irrelevant when the button is disabled but no that is not the case. And certanly not indicated or intuitive in any way from the insert>time menu dialogue.

Thanks again j-v it's saving me a load of grief now.

Andy.