I can't , I just can't anymore!

Tom-Ansuini wrote on 4/26/2022, 10:59 AM

I have been a faithful user of Vegas Movie Studio for over 20 years now, but I just can no longer handle the impromptu crashing and lockups with this software every time I start a projet! I patiently restart everything, restart the computer, reload my project and say a little prayer! But I'm getting seriously fed up of the garbage. I have faster production results using Camtasia Studio! This should not be! And don't tell me it's my system. I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core with 24 CPUs running at approx 3.8GHz, 64 Gig memory, two 1TB SSDs and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 with 8 Gig Vram.

And they always have the balls to invite me to upgrade to the next version, every time I run the program, and like a fish, I do! Using Movie Studio 17 Platinum and still have the same random freezes that I had for the past 20 years!! This is ridiculous. Wasting all kinds of production time restarting the app and the computer, because, of course, when it decides to random lock, if somehow leaves a trail of broken files that the next run encounters.

Consider this my farewell message to Vegas, Sony, Movie Studio and all other half done products from this "fine company"!

Adios! 💩

Tom

Comments

Jack S wrote on 4/26/2022, 11:23 AM

@Tom-Ansuini I don't doubt that you have problems, but can you really blame the software when there are countless users out there, including me, that have very few problems?
You say you've been a faithful Movie Studio user for over 20 years. Have you been having problems for all that time?
Have you never thought about asking for help from the many, experienced users on this forum?

Give some details about your source material. This thread will point you in the right direction for getting some help.

My system
Dell XPS 8700 (I know, it's a little outdated)
Windows 10 Home (x64)
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5-4440
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti display adapter
System drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Camcorder
SONY Handycam HDR-XR550VE

vkmast wrote on 4/26/2022, 11:40 AM

If you are still receiving upgrade offers, they are actually for the new Movie Studio product line (based on Movie Edit Pro) from MAGIX. This is a totally different product and nothing to do with VEGAS (or old Sony) Movie Studios. I guess after all the troubles you've patiently endured since Sonic Foundry's Video Factory was released late 2000 you'll be relieved to know that the last VEGAS Movie Studios were v.17 as the product line was discontinued last July.

Musicvid wrote on 4/26/2022, 12:24 PM

When a new forum user reports hopeless problems and claims decades of experience (Vegas Movie Studio brand was launched in 2005), yet provides no details, I like to ask them to start here;

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

And here:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/got-questions-consult-the-tutorials-first-please--120282/

Tom-Ansuini wrote on 5/3/2022, 2:07 PM

Jack S, thank you for trying to help. Musicvid, I was using Sony Vegas 3 when I started with this product, so I'm not sure if it's 20 years, but in any case, the problem of crashing has cursed me through every machine I've had it on!

Please excuse my negativity in the first message. Was very frustrated after having restarted the system 4 or 5 times to recover from crash. I convert everything into H.264 1080 using Adobe Encoder jsut to maje sure every clip is in the same format. The crashes usually happen if I scrub through the timeline too often or too quickly. I don'T understand why this is the only video editor program that crashes for me. I use many other video editing programs that perform flalessly, but I love the Movie Studio interface and workflow; except for the constant crashes if I'm in a hurry! I have a super clean machine, nothing running in BG except for Dropbox. I work off of a SSD, not Dropbox, thinking that the cloud saving of the work files onto Dropbox while I'm editing could bug ou Movie Studio. So everything is local on a dedicated SSD. I really want to continue using this software, but this intermittent random crashing is so annoying. DOin a Google seqrch, I've read that many user experience this and many solutions are offered. I can honsetly say that I've tried them all. The only think that seems to reduce the crashing is if I work without a preview window or with a very low quality preview window. But this is a ridiculous solution, given the fact that I spend a fortune on getting the powerful computer stations.(I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core with 24 CPUs running at approx 3.8GHz, 64 Gig memory, two 1TB SSDs and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 with 8 Gig Vram.)

Anyways, just very frustrating...

Tom-Ansuini wrote on 5/3/2022, 2:10 PM

Vkmast, yes the one I have is by MAGIX. I hate MAGIX! Is there one still made by Sony?

vkmast wrote on 5/3/2022, 2:24 PM

Is there one still made by Sony?

@Tom-Ansuini

No. Please read https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/sony-vegas-vs-vegas--119881/

Musicvid wrote on 5/3/2022, 6:31 PM

The crashes usually happen if I scrub through the timeline too often or too quickly.

(I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core with 24 CPUs running at approx 3.8GHz, 64 Gig memory, two 1TB SSDs and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 with 8 Gig Vram.)

Thanks for those nuggets of useful information. Try upgrading your Nvidia drivers to the latest Studio version.

If the problem persists, turn off "GPU Acceleration of Video Processing" in Options->Preferences->Video as a test, and report back

For further peer support with your current issue, please start here, including your full Vegas Movie Studio version and build number. Welcome to the forums.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

Musicvid wrote on 5/4/2022, 7:24 AM

I was using Sony Vegas 3 when I started with this product, 

Again, no such product title was ever released. Prior to Vegas Movie Studio 4, the first Movie Studio title with the Vegas brand, the product was named Sony Screenblast Studio; prior to that, it was Sonic Foundry Video Factory. I don't doubt that you had an earlier version; Movie Studio simply was not branded "Vegas" prior to 2005.

steve-r wrote on 5/18/2022, 5:56 PM

AGREE I'm getting fed up as well... I get it working then there is an update it Kinda forces you to do it because every time you open the program it prompts you to do the update which I would opt out as long as I can, then come the crashes all over again. this time all the fixes remand and now crashing all over again... sick of this especial with a client sitting right there, this one is the worst at this point Movie studio 17