Is mic the only way to get audio from iPhone?

PeterWright wrote on 11/8/2012, 9:15 PM
I have a client who has recorded a presentation on her iPhone, and I need to extract it as best as possible. She says she doesn't think there's any way of getting a line out, so we're currently planning to play it and record through a close microphone, which I said will result in quality loss, but that's all she knows how to do.

I know even less about iphones - do any of you good folks know a way of getting this file into a usable form?

Thanks

Comments

John_Cline wrote on 11/8/2012, 9:46 PM
I don't have an iPhone, but several things come to mind; use iTunes to get the audio file off the phone. Email it from the phone or install Dropbox on the phone and upload the file. All of these methods would be much better than using a microphone held up the iPhone.
farss wrote on 11/8/2012, 9:46 PM
GoogleFu on the blink today Peter :)

Search for "copy recordings from iphone to pc"

First hit: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/6403/iphone-transfer-voice-memos-from-iphone-to-computer/

Bob.

PeterWright wrote on 11/8/2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Bob - even though I know it's there, I still often overlook Google!

That link looks promising - I'll email it to my client .....
Grazie wrote on 11/9/2012, 12:53 AM
How about Emailing the file?

I have a iPhone. I've never had issues getting at my Media. I USB iPhone to the pc and the iPhone shows up and I navigate to the folder and drag and drop to a Media HDD. I've not done a "dictate" - presuming thats what was done? - but I'm guessing they're gotta be something similar.

Pete, I'll have a go in the next hour.

Grazie
Grazie wrote on 11/9/2012, 1:05 AM
You have email.
Grazie wrote on 11/9/2012, 2:19 AM
Pete, I followed the instructions here and I am now playing the iPhone Voice Memo recording in VP12.

When I was in iTunes I just right Clicked and did Copy, opened my PC Desktop and Pasted the file there. I'm now running it in VP12, 18 seconds=150kb so 3 minutes=1.5mb and 30 minutes=15mb.

Here's what G-Spot sees the file as:-

Grazie

Grazie wrote on 11/9/2012, 2:41 AM
I just corrected the Math above, and it's here too:

18 seconds=150kb so 3 minutes=1.5mb and 30 minutes=15mb.

Grazie

farss wrote on 11/9/2012, 4:58 AM
For that to work of course she:

a) Has to install iTunes on her computer.
b) Has to have the USB cable for her iPhone.

Had a client last week who failed on both those points it seems :(

She could install the Dropbox App on her phone, for that she needs nothing but the phone and enough data allowance.

Unfortunately with my client even installing Dropbox confounded them so they uploaded the video to YT. Not quite as bad as I'd have thought it would be as it was only (mostly) a slideshow, phew.

Bob.
Grazie wrote on 11/9/2012, 5:37 AM
It's ok Bob, Pete and I found a way.

G

Chienworks wrote on 11/9/2012, 5:39 AM
To go back to the original question, just in case anyone is curious, the earphone jack is a stereo line out, so that works in a pinch. However, file transfer is still a better option.
ushere wrote on 11/9/2012, 5:59 AM
as an aside to this - is there any alternative to itunes that'll work with an iphone?
Grazie wrote on 11/9/2012, 6:00 AM
Why Leslie?

G

John_Cline wrote on 11/11/2012, 5:49 AM
I just ran across this freeware, I'm going to play with it on my girlfriend's iPhone tomorrow.

iDevice Manager

"The iDevice Manager is more than an iPhone Browser and iExplorer. The program offers access to the device file system, creates its own ringtones from MP3, displays SMS messages, playing music and many more useful functions.

With the iDevice Manager can you look into the file system of your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch and down- and upload files by USB connection, regardless of whether file format. Within this function can use your iPhone/iPad/iPod as "external disk". The program supports also a direct access to the photos, emails, SMS, videos directories of the iPhone. Herewith can you photos, emails, SMS, videos and all other files easily and simple copy to the computer. The same function is also available for videos, music (from iPod-App) and ringtones. One of the highlights of the iDevice Manager is the creating of custom ringtones for the iPhone. With the comfortable ringtone editor can you use MP3, WAV, AIFF and M4A audio file formats. The ringtone editor can milliseconds accurately cut. However the song length is not limited to 32 seconds as iTunes."
apit34356 wrote on 11/11/2012, 6:25 AM
Nice find, John! I'll pass this on to my Apple loving daughter....
Geoff_Wood wrote on 11/11/2012, 6:33 PM
***WARNING***

Don't install ! Doesn't seem to do anything and contains malware !

"Win32/Adware.Somoto.A is a malicious backdoor Trojan that runs in the background and allows remote access to the compromised system. When you visit malicious website or a site that attempts to display pop-under advertisements, your computer is very likely to be infected with the Win32/Adware.Somoto.A virus. Win32/Adware.Somoto.A contains a hacktool for attackers to break into the PC and may download other malware to your computer. Win32/Adware.Somoto.A does not use network resources to spread, but can spread through a network by attaching itself to other computer worms virus. It is recommended that Win32/Adware.Somoto.A be removed immediately."

geoff
Grazie wrote on 11/12/2012, 1:03 AM
Geoff? What download are you referring to?

Cheers

Grazie
Geoff_Wood wrote on 11/12/2012, 1:20 AM
John Cline's link to iDevice Manager 5 posts 'up' from here.

geoff
Grazie wrote on 11/12/2012, 1:36 AM
Thanks Geoff.

As a matter of prudence, I did try and see if it was a iApp available through my iPhone's iApp, and it wasn't, so I didn't proceed.

Cheers

Grazie
ushere wrote on 11/12/2012, 2:05 AM
hi grazie,

i was looking for something light for my editing pc rather than the bloat that itunes is (or has become).

as it is i use my wifes itunes (she's got an ipod) and simply transfer to my pc over the net work.....
John_Cline wrote on 11/12/2012, 2:13 AM
Geoff, what virus scanner did you use that produced this warning? I Googled "iDevice Manager" + "virus" and found no reports of malware, spyware or virus infection.

http://idevice-manager.en.lo4d.com/virus-malware-tests
Grazie wrote on 11/12/2012, 2:41 AM
Geoff, what virus scanner did you use that produced this warning?

Curios and curiouser.

G

PeterWright wrote on 11/12/2012, 3:06 AM
To conclude the original question - today I drove to my Client and connected the headphone socket of her iPhone to my Zoom Q3HD and recorded a 48khz wav file, as in Kelly's suggestion above. Came out perfect.

The file was too big to email and she couldn't instal Dropbox on her phone because it had an old OS and she naturally didn't want to delete everything.
farss wrote on 11/12/2012, 3:42 AM
John,
some further information here: http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-somoto

The application itself is not where the problem lies.
The installer uses backdoors to redirect browser searches and 'page not found' to monetise sites.

Anti virus software may not detect this, worse, from memory they could be legally prevented from doing so.

Bob.