No AC3 in Blu Ray?

Clator wrote on 12/2/2011, 5:28 PM

I have just unlocked Vegas 11 Movie Studio HD Platinum with a proper, purchased license. I cannot seem to encode to AC3. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare suggests I should be able to.

I am attempting to burn a project to Blu-Ray (first to ISO, will burn the physical disc later), but the only audio option is Sony Wave *w64 ... I was under the understanding that licensed copies of Vegas 11 could write to AC3. Do I need to install something else to get AC3 encoding enabled?

Sorry for the cross post, but somebody on the AC-3 forum suggested nobody checks there anymore so I figured I'd re-ask where more users congregate.

Comments

Allegretto wrote on 12/2/2011, 7:56 PM
The Blu-ray spec requires the Pro AC-3 codec. Vegas Movie Studio includes the consumer AC-3 codec, so it doesn't meet this requirement. You have to use the Wave64 option for audio from VMS to be Blu-ray compliant.

Vegas Pro ships with AC-3 Pro so it offers both AC-3 and Wave64 as audio options for Blu-ray.
Clator wrote on 12/2/2011, 8:02 PM
Thanks. Two follow up questions:
1) Is there an add-on for the AC-3 upgrade w/o having to upgrade the entire software platform?
2) Conversely, is there a way to shrink the completed ISO to fit exactly onto a BD-25? My resulting disc is about 26GB and I dont' want to dumb down the video all the way from 16bit to 10bit for the little bit of savings I need.

Thanks,
--Clator
Marco. wrote on 12/3/2011, 4:49 AM
But don't missunderstand: Even with Vegas Pro installed you can't use AC3 for Blu-ray discs in DVD Architect Studio. You can burn an AC3 Blu-ray disc without menu directly from Vegas Pro then. But there is no way to use AC3 for Blu-ray discs in DVD Architect Studio (Video DVD only).
TOG62 wrote on 12/3/2011, 6:03 AM
If you have Vegas Pro you should have Architect Pro, so why use the Studio version?
Clator wrote on 12/3/2011, 10:17 AM
Alas, I do not have Pro, I have platinum. Vegas 11 Movie Studio HD Platinum to be specific.
TOG62 wrote on 12/3/2011, 10:20 AM
Understood. I wad responding to the statement from another users: "Even with Vegas Pro installed you can't use AC3 for Blu-ray discs in DVD Architect Studio.".
Clator wrote on 12/3/2011, 5:19 PM
Ah, got it.

So to the second question, is there a way to shrink while authoring so that the resulting ISO will burn perfectly to a 25GB disc?

Alternately, is there a reliable shrinking program that will do this to ISOs?
Marco. wrote on 12/4/2011, 5:51 AM
"is there a way to shrink while authoring so that the resulting ISO will burn perfectly to a 25GB disc?"

In the burn/prepare dialog when you click "Optimize" in the next window you may click "Fit to disc".