set absolute length of a Text Event in Timeline

justmetlb777 wrote on 3/23/2010, 8:55 PM
I can not find a way to set a Text Event to an absolute length (other than dragging to length) so that it is that way in the Timeline. There is a Length entry but it is not actually changing the length in the timeline - extremely irritating. (yes I know how to drag the event, and I even see that it will snap to the given length - not good enough, you should be able to just say how long it is to be....)

Comments

MSmart wrote on 3/23/2010, 9:57 PM
There is a Length entry but it is not actually changing the length in the timeline - extremely irritating. (yes I know how to drag the event, and I even see that it will snap to the given length - not good enough, you should be able to just say how long it is to be....)

I agree, the event should change to match the value entered.
jetdv wrote on 3/24/2010, 8:32 AM
Create a selection area on the timeline, Right-click the track in that selection area, and choose to add your generated media that way. Then it will match the length of the selection area.
Eigentor wrote on 3/24/2010, 9:42 AM
I recently came across a property or preferences setting, where you could set the default length of generated media, text, pictures .... Mine defaults to 5 seconds currently. Check in th options or tools, somewhere I'm sure I saw it.
frankbi wrote on 11/8/2010, 2:24 AM
I agree with the duration feature. Irritating.
I also hoped I could save it as a setting. But duration is not included as it seems to me.

Unfortunately the duration setting does not help on text titles I think. You can find it here:
German: Optionen>Präferenzen>Bearbeiten: Standbildfolge (5 secs for me here, too, but title is 10 secs)
Free translation: Options>Preferences>Edit: Still Image ...

Thanks for pointing out the selection method. This does not help in my case but might be really helpful. I wish there could be a mass title generator. :) But copy and paste on the timeline does the job for me.

By the way: How can I close the text window with a keyboard shortcut? Strg+w, Strg+F4 or Esc does not help.
Tollkuhnator wrote on 11/8/2010, 8:35 PM
Here's a suggestion.
1) Insert your text event (it will use the default event length)
2) Double-click the text event to create a region. There will be yellow start and end markers on the timeline.
3) Notice the 3 boxes in the lower-right of the VMS frame. These are time start, time end, and length of the selection
4) Double-click in the third box, length, and enter the number of seconds you want, then press enter. Notice that the end time in the middle box has changed and the marker on the timeline has moved.
5) Grab the right edge of the text event and move it one way or the other to match the new endpoint marker for the region. It will snap into place at exactly the length you need.

You can use this same technique to precisely adjust the length when you create the region first and then drop a text event into it as suggested above.