Should I upgrade from VP13 to VP15?

frederick-wise wrote on 10/2/2017, 12:52 PM

Hi,

Advanced Vegas home user here currently fairly happy with VP13 (I've been using Vegas through about every other version since they started). I passed on VP14 as it didn't seem to be that much of an upgrade for me. I'm now trying out VP15 and again, it seems real nice but I can't really see any "must-have" improvements. Am I missing out on anything? I see it renders a little faster but I just retired and can wait a few more minutes or hours on renders, lol! I can't find any sidechain/ducking plug-ins which I always wanted and assumed would be in this version. Anyone have a good or bad experience upgrading? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanx, JV1

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 10/2/2017, 4:53 PM

My advice: Not yet. Like all new releases, there are some issues that need to be worked out, and hopefully that will happen in the first few builds. After that, you need to look at new features (fairly modest) and more likely the performance as it applies to YOUR system. The 'under the hood' work to make Vegas faster is likely where upgrading will pay for itself OR NOT (see discussions about GPU advancements with Nvidia cards, Intel QSV, and AMD)

frederick-wise wrote on 10/2/2017, 5:01 PM

Thanx. I guess the good news is that VP13 is a pretty nice program to this day and these software companies are going to have to create more spectacular advances to sway folks on the fence like me.

marc-s wrote on 10/2/2017, 5:34 PM

Still on Vegas 13 myself. On the fence and new releases are so buggy I would not touch it. If they seriously improve AMD support for previews like they said they will do in the future I will probably upgrade. That said I'm starting to learn Resolve and its pretty powerful and seems to take advantage of my graphics card.

frederick-wise wrote on 10/2/2017, 6:10 PM

I just bought a 7.1 ATMOS Onkyo home theater receiver and was wondering if VP15 can do 7.1 audio. I don't see it but maybe there is a secret way to do it😉? 7.1 would get me to upgrade as well as a side-chain function and a nice place to store text for the documentary style videos I often make.

Cliff Etzel wrote on 10/2/2017, 7:42 PM

I wouldn't upgrade - A fresh install on my laptop as Administrator works fine - no other apps installed. Moment I log into my user account with admin rights it crashes. This is pretty much the last straw for me. I cannot and will not recommend the program to anyone. Back to Premiere Pro CS6 suite for me. 😡

Grazie wrote on 10/2/2017, 11:34 PM

I wouldn't upgrade.....I cannot and will not recommend the program to anyone. Back to Premiere Pro CS6 suite for me. 😡

Cliff, does this mean you won’t need further feedback on your other threads? It’ll be good to know ‘cos I’ve been reading and following your experience. I wish I’d could supply a solution - I know you like Vegas 😉.

NigelO wrote on 10/4/2017, 6:48 AM

@Cliff Etzel, have you tried installing the SeMW Extensions?

http://www.semw-software.com/extensions/download

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 10/4/2017, 9:05 AM

@frederick-wise Have a look at our new update and possibly the previous ones. Maybe you can find some new features which are interesting for you.

If you are more a practical person then I would recommend you getting the 30-day free trial. 😉

frederick-wise wrote on 10/4/2017, 9:48 PM

I got the trial a few days ago but so far haven't really discovered any new features that seem worthy of upgrading. But I thought maybe there were some subtle, great new features that others may know about so I started this thread asking if there are any MAJOR "hidden" improvements I may be overlooking as compared to version 13 (which is a very nice, mature product). As you see from the comments above, there don't seem to be any hidden gems. I was hoping there would finally be a sidechain/ducking function so that I can make documentary type of videos easier but for some reason, that wish is totally ignored. How can this be a professional product without one of the most common styles of video being supported? I guess I'll wait for the next version.

Kinvermark wrote on 10/5/2017, 8:19 AM

Audio ducking functionality has been available from inexpensive third party add-ons for years.  Recc you look at Vegasaur... there are some others.

frederick-wise wrote on 10/5/2017, 2:27 PM

I already own several ducking/sidechain plug-ins via my music DAW, Sonar Platinum, but don't think they can be used in Vegas. Also I have an awkward but functioning ducking technique from Vegas which incorporates the "wave hammer" in an overly elaborate setup as I recall. I even bought and returned something from Vegasauer a few years ago that pretended to do ducking but it really didn't. It was so obviously not really doing ducking, I had no problem getting Vegasauer to agree to return my money. I'm still very disappointed Vegas decides to change colors of the gui rather than include valuable upgrades like an easy to use ducking plugin that should also come with a "new project template" that has everything already set up. Oh well, they know their customer base better than me so I guess I'll have to wait, probably forever......📅 lol! There's always Premiere CS5 which I own but never got the hang of but I did figure out a lot of tricks with AfterFX which was part of the CS5 production suite I bought about a decade ago. On the bright side, I just saved a few hundred dollars.

Thanx to all for the suggestions.

NickHope wrote on 10/5/2017, 9:44 PM

The ducking feature in Vegasaur makes a great job of detecting silences and getting a useful volume envelope onto the track, with keyframes that can be further tweaked if necessary. It's saved me a lot of effort in adjusting volume envelopes manually.

But it does only detect silences, and the envelope affects all frequencies. Am I right to think that the sidechain workflow you want would inherently monitor the volume of the narration and continuously compensate, or perhaps even duck vocal frequencies only?

frederick-wise wrote on 10/5/2017, 11:48 PM

My sidechain/ducking compressor in Sonar Platinum simply allows one to route the narrator's voice via a send on the narrator's track to the background music/sound track that has the sidechain/ducking compressor plug-in installed. Whenever the sidechain processor "hears" the voice it automatically reduces the volume of the background music. When the narrator pauses, it smoothly increases the background music back to where you want it. It repeats this process on the fly and you can easily tweak the threshold, attack, release parameters until you get something that sounds just right. Of course, if you don't have such a compressor, you can do it all manually and "ride" the faders and create lots of keyframes but that's a lot of work whereas a sidechain plugin works very fast - if you have one! Where is it in Vegas?

PS I don't think it was Vegasaur from whom I had received a refund, instead it was from a company named VASST that has a plugin called "Voice Assist". I guess I "miss-remembered" lol!

FYI I just downloaded a Vegasaur trial and don't recall ever trying it years ago. Is the "voice-over" feature fairly new? It kinda seems to be doing some sort of ducking but it isn't in real time. Regardless of whether 3rd party sidechain/ducking FX work, Vegas should include this as a standard feature. Also, I remember from years ago discussing this issue on the Sony forums and someone found a real looking plugin that supposedly did ducking in real time. I'll see if I can find it.

NickHope wrote on 10/6/2017, 2:09 AM
FYI I just downloaded a Vegasaur trial and don't recall ever trying it years ago. Is the "voice-over" feature fairly new? It kinda seems to be doing some sort of ducking but it isn't in real time. Regardless of whether 3rd party sidechain/ducking FX work, Vegas should include this as a standard feature. Also, I remember from years ago discussing this issue on the Sony forums and someone found a real looking plugin that supposedly did ducking in real time. I'll see if I can find it.

The Vegasaur voice over feature has been around at least 5 years. I think silence detection was added in 2.0. The other ducker I know of is in Excalibur. It does a similar thing to the one in Vegasaur. i.e. It just puts on a volume envelope, but without as much control over the keyframes and fades. It requires the Blue Cat Digital Peak Meter for silence detection.

Sidechaining in Vegas has been requested many times over the years.

Obito wrote on 10/6/2017, 2:50 AM

I would not, There is always a bug into every sony vegas, Since this is a new version, (from my knowledge), It is best you stay at 13 until you really feel like upgrading.

frederick-wise wrote on 10/6/2017, 6:41 AM

Just found my old post on the topic of ducking from 2013 and someone in there had mentioned Vegas's audio mixing system architecture is not set-up to handle side-chaining because the sends just don't allow it. I think this may be correct as I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to get a few of my Waves plugins that have the sidechain function to work in Vegas. But the sends in the narrator's voice track don't seem to be able to send info from one track to another as far as I can tell. Why? I don't know but they should get this working and then I might go for an upgrade.