SOT - How to stream live from a camera?

Hulk wrote on 9/28/2015, 10:40 AM
So my older daughter is in CCD and I'm around the church a lot and I decided to ask them if they needed any audio/video help. Boy did I step in it. They want me to mix some choir things (local school choirs around February) tweak the PA and some other things where aren't too big a deal. The big deal is the 1st Holy Communion next May where they are asking me if I can video and send the stream to their website. Doing the video/audio and editing isn't a huge deal but I've never streamed anything? I did some quick Googling and it seems I need an HDMI to USB adapter to get the live stream from my camera to the computer. Anybody have any advice on a relatively painless and cost effective way to do this? What software to use? I assume the speed of the computer transcoding the video is going to have a big impact on quality given the fact that the transcode must be done in real time? I mean holding bitrate constant.

Anyway before I waste a ton of time I'm thinking some people here might be well versed in this and can give me some solid advice as to how to proceed. The good thing is I have a lot of time to get this all worked out.

Mark

Comments

set wrote on 9/28/2015, 11:52 AM
Hulk, many months ago I had asked the similar question once.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?Forum=4&messageid=921285

But the project didn't continue with me. Though I can't answer your question right now, perhaps the link info above can be helpful to you.

Set
Hulk wrote on 9/28/2015, 1:14 PM
Thanks set.

Yikes! Looks complicated and/or expensive to do right.
I think I'm going to tell them this is out of my comfort zone. I'll run a camera, set up audio, edit, or whatever but I'm not doing any streaming. Maybe I can convince them to just let me shoot it and tell them I can have a rough edit up on their website like an hour later.

Again, thanks.
OldSmoke wrote on 9/28/2015, 3:12 PM
I may have to do something similar with this years Nutcracker On Ice. I was looking at those guys but haven't had time to look deeper into it.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

wwaag wrote on 9/28/2015, 4:39 PM
Since its a one-off thing and you've got quite a bit of time, you could look into a few options like Ustream. Youtube also supports live streaming which is pretty simple to set up. I fiddled around with both of these for awhile just streaming whatever was on my desktop to another online computer of mine. Both seemed to work OK, although not for my particular need at the time (simple screen-sharing). Just a thought.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia 1050ti graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

astar wrote on 9/28/2015, 5:46 PM
I think your simplest way to stream live would to look at LiveStreams red box device. This simple device does all the streaming for you, and all you have to do is plug in your video and sound. The downside is that you have to have a paid subscription to embed your stream on your website, or to do HD level content. It looks like they have put a basic paywall to keep the freeloaders, kids, and dirt bags from consuming their bandwidth.

YouTube with a Blackmagic intensity adapter, and inputting HDMI from a camera would be the next easiest solution.

Audio delay can be an issue when streaming live. I would recommend you input your audio feed into the side of the camera, if you are capturing HDMI. This keeps things in sync in easier, than running a separate audio capture device, with a device that adds delay. Premade devices like the Livestream encoder compensate for this on their audio inputs.

You can also download the apps from various companies like UStream and Livestream, and run some tests from your phone to see how this all works. All this before buying hardware to support one vs the other.

The $995 Blackmagic ATEM Television device is another good way to keep livestreams manageable, simple, and it just works. You do not need the full on control panels, just the device and a laptop. With this rig you can output directly to a livestream, or bounce the feed off the church's web hosting. The amount of viewers you will likely get will be small, and so you do not need to plan to host an olympic feed.
musicvid10 wrote on 9/28/2015, 9:00 PM
Shoot it yoursel, and farm out the streaming to a service.

SWS wrote on 9/28/2015, 9:55 PM
Maybe not cost effective but looks like it would be nice to have the JVC GY LS300. It will Live Stream

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/4k/manual/camcorder_streaming_guide.pdf

BOXX/APEXX S4
Motherboard: ASRock TAICHI
Intel Z690 Chipset Cores:16
CPU: Intel Core i9 12900KS Enhanced Performance Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB DDR5-4800 MHz (2 - 32GB DIMMS
Disks: 2.0TB SSD NVMe/PCIe 3.0/4.0 M.2 Drive
SSD: (4) 4TB
O/S: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit SP1