Transitions

The Captain wrote on 8/13/2008, 11:35 PM
I have been advised by Sony Support that there is no way to automatically place a random transition between events in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Version 8d . I am making a photo slide show of photo's for my sons 21st. with about 200 photos and putting in different transition manually between each photo will be very time consuming.

Does anyone have a workaround for this??

Comments

Chienworks wrote on 8/14/2008, 4:56 AM
Use something besides Vegas Studio. It's really not intended for photo slide shows and has no good tools for making it easy.

You can accomplish what you want to do with Vegas Studio, but it's going to be a long manual process.
cmcdonald wrote on 8/14/2008, 9:09 AM
It is probably just a personal preference, but I find that having too many fancy transitions is distracting. I have used VMS for many sideshows and it has always worked great and was in many ways superior to some of the other packages that are "specifically designed" for slideshows.

I prefer to have a default of a basic crossfade and then go in at specific locations and add special transitions that I think will help to set off a portion of the show.
Terry Esslinger wrote on 8/14/2008, 10:11 AM
In MS its a lot of work. However in Vegas Pro where you can use scripts, there are several available that can automate the process, even adding "Ken Burns" type effects.
Altair 4 wrote on 8/14/2008, 12:21 PM
I'm in agreement with cmcdonald. A few weeks ago, my kid was at a Vacation Bible School program. On the closing evening, a sllideshow was presented. Man, every transition was in it...3-D swirls, windows, explosions, puzzle pieces flying in and out, just everything. I felt like I was on a thrill ride at an amusement park. The show was so busy with transitions that it took away from the actual photos of the kids, which is what everyone wanted to see to begin with. I asked what software they used - Pinnacle 10 is what I was told.

Interestingly, I have done a similar slideshow for our church with VMSP 6. I tend to use mostly simple crossfade, a few Spice transitions where it looked appropriate along with a few Ken Burns type effects. I got a lot of compliments. Personally, I was very pleased with the look and feel of the slideshow.
richard-amirault wrote on 8/14/2008, 1:01 PM
"Man, every transition was in it...3-D swirls, windows, explosions, puzzle pieces flying in and out, just everything. I felt like I was on a thrill ride at an amusement park. The show was so busy with transitions that it took away from the actual photos of the kids, which is what everyone wanted to see to begin with. "

YES, YES, YES!!! Just because you CAN do fancy 'stuff' is no reason TO do it.
MSmart wrote on 8/14/2008, 3:17 PM
I prefer to have a default of a basic crossfade and then go in at specific locations and add special transitions that I think will help to set off a portion of the show.

Ditto.

I believe that if you have two events overlapping (a cross-fade), you can drag a transition over the cross-fade and it will be applied. [I'm not at my editing PC]
cmcdonald wrote on 8/14/2008, 4:17 PM
You are correct about dropping the transition onto a crossfade. This is exactly what I usually do. I save my "fancy" transitions for major breaks in the action. I also don't like to use too many pans/zooms either.

I have seen slideshows where every slide has a special transition and/or zooms or pans and it gets overwhelming after a while and takes away from the main subject of the show.

Naturally, this is simply my opinion and my wife will be more than happy to tell you what my opinion is worth.
MSmart wrote on 8/14/2008, 8:36 PM
Interesting. It creates a .wmv file which should be able to be opened in VMS for additional editing if so desired. Definitely an option. Thanks for sharing.
Editguy42 wrote on 8/14/2008, 9:08 PM
If you are going to be doing allot of slide shows I would suggest that either you look at Vegas pro and Ultimate S. or go this website http://www.photodex.com/ and check out thier software, it is a very good and realitively easy program to use.