Vegas Lagging After Editing

86Timewarp wrote on 12/14/2013, 3:28 PM
For some reason, after installing a new graphics card, Vegas lags after I make changes to videos located on my timeline. For instance, if I were to place the timeline bar on a section of video and splice it with "S" key, the video splices, but there's like a 1-3 second delay before I can start interfacing with Vegas again.

Prior to installing my EVGA GT640, I didn't remember having this issue with my GeForce 6570.

I turned off GPU Acceleration, but this still happens. I have the latest driver for my card and I updated my system's BIOS.

I don't know if it's the graphics card or the fact that the specific project I'm working on coincidentally has a bunch of pictures and video on the timeline (40 mins).

Edit: I just opened a new project and the lag issue seems to have disappeared so would this just be an issue with the amount of footage I have currently loaded?

Sony Vegas Pro 12 64-Bit
Intel i7-2600S 2.8GHz
EVGA GT640 2GB
8GB Ram
Windows 7 64-Bit

Comments

willqen wrote on 12/15/2013, 9:05 AM
At first I might have suggested a video driver problem.

Now, since the problem seems to have disappeared with a different project it must be some type of property setting, or a combination of driver setting - parameter/project setting??

Perhaps the older project was 8-bit color versus 32bit on the new project?

Also, you should list your system specs.

No one can offer much help without knowing what kind of system you have, what software you are using, etc.,

Will

Edit: I see you've added some of your specs to your post.
Good.
Add them to your profile.
Only have to do it once that way ....
Plus, it's more complete ...
Steve Mann wrote on 12/15/2013, 5:14 PM
"S" is Split. Vegas does very little with a split - all you are doing is creating two events pointing to the same media file. Your PC was probably doing something in the background preventing the veg file from updating quickly.

The amount of footage that you have loaded is really meaningless because Vegas doesn't really do anything with your original media files. Everything on the timeline is an event. An event is a pointer to the media file in your Project Media window. All of your edit commands on the timeline are stored in the veg file.

I see that you have 8Gb of RAM. That's not much for a video editing machine.
86Timewarp wrote on 12/16/2013, 8:35 PM
Sorry about not listing my specs in a more appropriate manner!

I honestly do not know why it's lagging a bit. I didn't really change anything aside from the properties which makes this a 4K video since most of the video is using stills from my T3i.

How do I check the color bit of a project?
86Timewarp wrote on 12/16/2013, 8:37 PM
Ah I see. 8GB of Ram actually got me through a dozens of projects but I do plan on upgrading. Problem is, the default motherboard that came with my HP only supports 8GB as it's max which is strange since this is a late 2011 PC.

I just noticed another thing, whenever I un-paste events, the lag is also present, but it's longer.

As stated, I never came across these issues with previous projects, but I don't know for sure.