VEGAS Pro 18 crash and possible resolve!

joost-berk wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:05 AM

Last night I was testing with VP18, all went well! I decided to install Sony Catalyst Browse 2019.2 (When al software was closed) and when I tried to open Catalyst, it crashed after the splash logo. I deinstalled it and went on with VP18, but now on this point VP18 also started crashing during splash logo. So my installation/deinstall of Catalyst triggered crashing behavior on VP18.

Even after a few deinstall/reinstall attempt of VP18 it kept crashing on startup.

So my resolve was to go back to a Windows Restore Point of earlier this week. Then I installed VEGAS Pro 18 again, and now it works.

I'm affraid of installing Sony Catalyst Browse again on any Vegas based system in the future.

I did sent the error-reports to the Vegas team, hope there will be an explaination for this.

Last changed by joost-berk

Vegas Pro user since version 1.2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR (Latest Studio Driver)

Monitoring: Black Magic Design DeckLink SDI 4K (or Nvidia HDMI for 4K HDR)

Audio: M-Audio M-Track Eight ASIO

Controller: Behringer X-Touch

Comments

VEGASDerek wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:09 AM

It appears that Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare install a DLL that interferes with some of the File I/O plugs in VEGAS. The fact that Catalyst does this is a rather major problem on their end. It is inappropriate for them to install this file and it likely would cause some problem for other applications as well.

VEGASHeman wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:29 AM

I believe the problem is related to the Intel OpenCL runtime for CPU which is installed along with Catalyst. Just uninstalling that component should get both Catalyst and VEGAS up and running again.

joost-berk wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:39 AM

@VEGASHeman that sounds like a logical solution. And I am happy to test this when the problem repeats. Do we need "Intel OpenCL runtime for CPU" in order to let Vegas operate correctly?

VEGASHeman wrote on 8/5/2020, 8:43 AM

@joost-berk: No, we don't need it for VEGAS. I think even Catalyst should be able to run fine without it, though I can't say for sure.

lenard-p wrote on 8/5/2020, 9:00 AM

How do I uninstall this. It's not in add or remove programs. Do I go to uninstall Catalyst and it gives me an option menu?

I have an active intel gpu, but maybe it wasn't available when I installed Catalyst. Maybe never installed?

wilvan wrote on 8/5/2020, 10:11 AM

Quickly asked the SONY Team and this is their ( almost immediate ) response by mail :

The Intel OpenCL runtime software can be uninstalled.  However, this may result in Catalyst running slower, such as when rendering.  But you can uninstall by performing the following:

The software can be removed from windows add/remove program:
1. Goto windows start button -> settings
2. Click on apps
3. Find the program:  Intel OpenCL CPU runtime
4. Select it and click uninstall

lenard-p wrote on 8/5/2020, 12:17 PM

Thanks, Catalyst did not install that for me. so it seems if intel gpu is not available at time of install it won't install. I assume that is what happened

joost-berk wrote on 8/5/2020, 1:42 PM

@lenard-p Yes, my laptop features an Intel and Nvidia GPU. So it must be that combination.