VEGASPYTHON 1.01: New feature - Invert_Copy_Motion_Track_to_PiP_Values

Harold-Linke wrote on 8/18/2019, 5:34 AM

I am glad to announce the release of VEGASPython 1.01 including a new feature Invert_Copy_Motion_Track_to_PiP_Values

https://www.hlinke.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:vegas_python_download

The main new feature for users is

• Invert_Copy_Motion_Track_to_PiP_Values:

VEGAS 17 introduced an update of the Motion Tracker including planar tracking. Together with the new PIP (Picture-in-Picture) effect the motion tracker allows to attach media to an object. To achieve this the VEGAS extension „Copy motion track to PIP“ has to be used to transfer the motion tracking information from the tracker to the PIP effect.

Instead of letting a PIP follow an object in a clip, you can use the motion tracker for stabilising a clip too.

The advantage of using the motion tracker for stabilising is that you can select the object that should be stabilzed. In special cases this might give better results than a normal stabilizer can provide.

Using the motion tracker for stabilising is done by inverting the values copied from the tracker to the PIP. This neutralises the movement of the tracked object and it does not leave its position on the screen anymore.

The script for inverting the copied tracking values is part of VEGASPython 1.01.

Please follow the instruction here: https://www.hlinke.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:vegaspython_clip_stabilisation_using_mt

For developers VEGASPython provides one new feature:

• font and font size of the VEGASPython interactive Window can now be configured in the VEGASpython Config file

Harold

Comments

Marco. wrote on 8/18/2019, 2:41 PM

Don't know what it is. Since I installed VegasPython 1.01 none of your extensions work the direct way via Tools/Extensions. I can only use them via the interactive window.

Harold-Linke wrote on 8/18/2019, 4:10 PM

Thanks for your feedback Marco.

I will check this tomorrow evenning.

Harold

Harold-Linke wrote on 8/18/2019, 11:51 PM

@Marco. I think I see where the problem is.

I made an error when creating the zip file. It start with a folder VEGASPython_V01.01. The content of this folder needs to be moved up to the main folder Vegas Application Extensions and the folder VEGASPython_V01.01needs to be removed. I hope it works then.

I will correct the zip file later today.

Harold

Marco. wrote on 8/19/2019, 2:20 AM

I already did that. With only copying the main folder, each script would throw an error message ("invalid pointer"). With copying files and subfiles there is no error message, but the py scripts don't work either if not used from the interactive window.

Edit:
There is still that "invalid pointer" message, eg. when I try to use "Add_2_Second_Gap".

Harold-Linke wrote on 8/19/2019, 11:56 AM

@Marco. Thanks. You are a very good tester. You stumbled into a very seldom error.

I updated the VEGASpython_V01.01.zip.

Harold

Marco. wrote on 8/20/2019, 3:56 AM

Yes, it works now. Also your new extension "Invert_Copy_Motion_Track_to_PiP_Values" works fine. I'm still testing which kind of footage is best to use this solution. So far I can say – same as for the standard stabilizer – if you have a CMOS based video recording you should apply a good CMOS fixer before using this workflow. The result will be much better.

There's another way to get rid of the border of the stabilized event: In the keyframe panel of the PiP FX select all keyframes, then adjust the size.

@Harold-Linke Could you elaborate what you mean with the second option – adding the reference keyframe below track B?

Harold-Linke wrote on 8/20/2019, 11:53 AM

Hi Marco, sure.

the problem with all stabilisation solutions is that they shift the frame and create moving borders. You can compensate these moving border by zooming into the image.

If you are simulating a fixed camera and you want to avoid to zoom in, you can replace the borders by using parts of another frame. The best frame for this is the reference frame that you used as the starting point for the motion tracking. This is the only frame where the PIP is not moved or sheared (all delta values of the tracker are 0 for this frame). If you put this frame (using freeze frame) into the background of the stabilised clip the borders are gone. Depending on the the clip and scene you may see some movement.

Does this explanation make it clearer?

Harold