10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes .mov files 18fps

puck1263 wrote on 7/25/2016, 4:18 PM
I am having my analog 8mm film digitized and have several questions:

1. Provider A will give me movie files at 1080p in 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes .mov files. It will retain 8mm native 18fps. Will Vegas movie studio HD platinum 11.0 accept this format? I don't see a project setting in NTSC for this. I also don't see a "render as" choice that fits.

2. I have another provider B who can transfer 8mm to 4k media files. I don't know the file format. Will Vegas movie studio HD platinum 11.0 accept 4k video? I don't see that it does. If not, what do I need?

Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 7/25/2016, 5:01 PM
Sorry, ProRes 10 bit 422 is not supported without a conversion process in Windows afaik, and it's a bit of overkill if you ask me. SD should be plenty for this stuff, unless you like looking at dancing grain the size of boulders on your big screen teevee..

ffmpeg would be a good place to try converting to a Windows-friendly format.
https://ffmpeg.org/

4K is absurd. DVD quality has more lines of resolution than your Super8 film source.

videoITguy wrote on 7/26/2016, 12:34 PM
Forget about using 4.2.2 .mov or 4k media files for an 18fps media film transfer.

Here in order of quality is the best way to handle transfer and media.

1) Uncompressed .avi file received on a harddrive - imports well into video NLE

2) DV video received on a dv cassette video tape - this can be recaptured from a compatible i-Link camera and Firewire capture - maintains all the quality you really can get. Very good workflow even if it is considered complex. Your dv cassette becomes an archive media.

3) DV video received on a burned DVD disc. The quality is fair and can be maintained by doing a direct .ifo file import process into VegasPro timeline.

puck1263 wrote on 7/26/2016, 7:12 PM
Ok. It appears ProRes is an apple only format created from a Mac with Quicktime. Vegas is so versatile, I didn't know if it would take it or not. I guess not. I'll ask for an .avi instead.
UKharrie wrote on 7/29/2016, 9:31 AM
musicvid10
I have been attracted to the German video-recorders that take the HDMI output from camcorders . . . these also produce ProRes files I recall I borrowed a 2.5" HDD and then this was converted, by a Mac-friend, to a format SMS would handle.

However, this is a messy technique - the software you mentioned . . . would this produce a suitable file . . . presumably in Real-time or does it act relatively quickly if the file is on an SDHC card, for example?

I understand ProRes is an Apple format so they demand a fee for its use . . . . Whilst it's annoying that SMS can't handle it, but that would add cost, which only "Pros" would need . . . . and they are probably using Macs / FCP anyway.

Vegas Pro doesn't specifically accept ProRes - I searched the "Comparisons" yet it does mention .MOV ( DSLRs) handling . . . . is this the same-thing?

FWIW;
I think OP's "8mm cine" will do fine at DVD quality, once the colour is restored and brightness/contrast, etc. incorporated.
videoITguy wrote on 7/29/2016, 6:40 PM
"NOT without a transcoding process" as stated earlier for ProRes handling...

VegasPro can be installed with plug-ins of the necessary type (particularly the case outside the continental USA as a matter of common practice) but most workflows just include a transcoder to do the job of the conversion. These come at a price and sometimes a certain complexity. UserInterface or basic command line of your choosing.

So the real basic question is there some derived benefit in this workflow scenario that would include VegasPro as a NLE of the user choice. The answer is NOT REALLY - but if your only source is the ProRes format, for example from a high-end outboard recorder, then you are forced to use these kind of workflows to jump the process.
musicvid10 wrote on 7/29/2016, 6:58 PM
This much I can share with you. ffmpeg is an unpaid solution that "may" convert ProRes to a Windows-friendly format.