100 m dollar Hollywood movie edited on FCPX & iMac

HyperMedia wrote on 1/22/2015, 1:43 PM
Neil Smith spoke at the Digital Cinema Society. This is a breakthrough.
On the other hand, I’m using Vegas on my iMac editing international TV programs airing in South America and Middle East.
Love it!

http://noamkroll.com/fcp-x-just-got-its-big-break-on-a-100000000-studio-feature-how-will-this-change-the-face-of-post-production/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_(2015_film)

Comments

wwjd wrote on 1/22/2015, 4:03 PM
I have no idea how well Avid and all those other high end "Pro" editors work, but can't see any reason that Vegas and FCP can't do feature films. I've slapped quite a few video and tons more audio tracks in and Vegas didn't mind at all. It's mostly about known workflow, I bet.
GeeBax wrote on 1/22/2015, 7:46 PM
I reckon it is also the perception that 'film' editing cannot be truly done on the PC because the top editors only use Mac.

Pure rubbish of course.
Laurence wrote on 1/22/2015, 10:18 PM
The more pressing issue would be compatibility with the specialized crews that did the high quality sound editing, color correction, and special effects that usually end up in feature films. Vegas is an awesome low budget one-guy-does-everything platform, but it doesn't play well with other software. You couldn't hand off your edit to a color correction department, or a Pro-Tools audio team for soundtrack sweetening, and this would likely be extremely important in a high budget production.
deusx wrote on 1/23/2015, 12:04 AM
iPhone 6 comes out and Steven Fry has a full page editorial in the Guardian about how great it is.

Joan Rivers posts on Facebook about how she's loving her new iPhone6, ooopssss, she had died about 10 days earlier and Apple forgot they'd paid her to release that statement upon iPhone launch.

It's all paid for by Apple. Joan Rivers example is just one of the more ridiculous and careless ones. So if some movie is being edited on FCP and that gets an article like these you can be sure it's just a paid advertisement. These people are all full of $hit and would throw their mom under a bus for some extra cash.

I'm not saying it can't be done, you can edit movies on anything these days, but if it's a story like these it's nothing more than advertising.

Besides why would this be a breakthrough of any kind. Who cares what they use to edit movies. It's not like Avid is all that expensive these days.
farss wrote on 1/23/2015, 12:21 AM
Editing a movie and "finishing" a movie are two different things. Editing is just deciding which bit goes where. The editors aren't the last people to touch the film, far from it, this applies as much today as it did when everything was done on film. The only problem with editing a feature with Vegas is getting an EDL out of Vegas for the post house who is going to do the grading and produce the master.

Bob.
ushere wrote on 1/23/2015, 4:26 AM
i've never really figured out how you put a 35mm reel inside a pc...

all balderdash and poppycock - there's so many process and tools used in the creation of a feature that you could probably say file transferred in windows explore, emails sent by iphone, coffee by starbucks, etc.,in the credits, if they PAID enough.
Rob Franks wrote on 1/25/2015, 5:23 PM
"I reckon it is also the perception that 'film' editing cannot be truly done on the PC because the top editors only use Mac. "

"Paranormal Activity" grossed 117 million at the box office. It was entirely edited in Vegas.