3D Monitoring Solutions: Passive?

rdolishny wrote on 11/18/2011, 6:44 AM
I just got a job where I'm going to produce a demo in 3D.

I did some tests using the regular old cyan/red glasses I had and it worked.

Watching my work at my clients was amazing: I delivered 'side by side' and their player parsed that perfectly and displayed it on a remarkable large monitor without any flickr. I used Real3D glasses as opposed to the nVidia ones that are very dark and flicker. The engineer said that monitor setup was 'passive'.

I want that setup but didn't want to tell my new client I didn't know how to get that.

What is a great way to work for extended periods of time on a 3D timeline in Vegas?

I suspect I need a new graphics card and monitor.

Note the nVidia cards all seem to be the flickering terminator glasses that need to be charged. So it's something else... These were Real3D glasses like the ones I used to see Avatar.

Comments

Chethu wrote on 11/18/2011, 8:56 AM
I am planning to buy LG D2342P LED 3D Monitor. Note that this is passive. Along with this I also planning to upgrade my video card to Nvidia GTX 560 TI. This combination should work without any issues.I am not sure how sony vegas is going to support for this setup ?

Marton wrote on 11/18/2011, 10:19 AM
Buy any passive monitor which use horizontal (line) polarization.
Whit it you can view even your non fullscreen preview in 3D!
I tried with Zalman Trimon, it worked.
rdolishny wrote on 11/18/2011, 6:13 PM
Hey Martin that's exactly it. It's incredible actually: flicker free 3D within a preview window.

What graphic card will support this, or is this more a feature of the monitor?
rdolishny wrote on 11/18/2011, 6:14 PM
That monitor looks perfect, thank you.

Has anyone actually got this combination to work? Do you need a special graphics card for this kind of 3D?

I'm close to a solution! That's two recommendations for this monitor!
rdolishny wrote on 11/18/2011, 8:30 PM
This is exciting. I think I've had a revelation.

Using Vegas, I can send 'side by side' or 'top and bottom' files to my preview monitor.

That monitor actually does the work and integrates the two files together for me.

Then, I can use my passive 3D glasses like the ones I stole from the last time I saw Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs and it should work. These are super light, comfortable, and don't require batteries.

Am I right or am I crazy? Does this mean I don't require a new graphics card?