44,100 to 48,000

dvideo2 wrote on 5/27/2009, 1:04 PM
what would be the effect/result of rendering out a 44,100 hz audio file
to a 48,000 hz audio file with the intentions of importing the new (48,000hz) version into an HD timeline?

I don't hear a difference and it doesn't seem to effect anything too greatly, but i'm wondering what type of information i might get back.

Thank you?

Comments

pwppch wrote on 5/27/2009, 5:04 PM
There is no need to resample in Vegas.

Vegas will mix and match what ever audio formats, sample rates, and bit DEPTHs you throw at it and do the right things when you render.

Peter
musicvid10 wrote on 5/27/2009, 8:23 PM
And what a nice feature that is!
Every project I do has 44 and 48 mixed in some form or other.
farss wrote on 6/1/2009, 12:31 AM
I just noticed a minor oddity, maybe one of the audio gurus can explain it.
Client gave me his music on CD, I rippedit into Vegas and dropped it onto a 48Khz timeline. Audio resampling set to Best. The meters can hit +1.5dB. Render the track to 48Khz and meters peg at 0dB.
Put 44.1KHz original CD track back and change project to 44.1Khz and now meters peg at 0dB.
Track is not clipped although very hot. Just curious as to why changing the sample rate alters what the meters read. Not a big issue. As the video is 48KHz I'll use the reampled track as it means less for the CPU to have to do.

Bob.
musicvid10 wrote on 6/1/2009, 6:03 AM
That is odd.
I'll try to replicate it.

EDIT: Unable to replicate any difference in meter behavior with 44Khz material in either a 44Khz or 48Khz project, set to Best. This is true whether the track volume is set to peak the meters at -0.5, 0, or +0.5 dB. No effects were applied.
jbolley wrote on 6/1/2009, 8:30 AM
once you render a file it will not have any overs, you've cut them off at 0. It is not uncommon for some headroom changes with a sample rate conversion. Are these stereo or mono files?

Jesse
farss wrote on 6/1/2009, 7:23 PM
"Are these stereo or mono files?"

Stereo.

It does occur to me that perhaps Vegas's 'on the fly' sample rate conversion for playback is not as precise as what it does during rendering.

Bob.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 6/1/2009, 9:07 PM
Does the 'over' amount change with Preview/Good /Best ?

geoff
pwppch wrote on 6/1/2009, 9:24 PM
Did you change your pan law for the track?

Peter
farss wrote on 6/8/2009, 12:58 AM
"Did you change your pan law for the track?"

No.

"Does the 'over' amount change with Preview/Good /Best ?"

Yes!
I've really suspicious of what's going on with this track. It meters OK in SF. Spectrum shows a lot of energy even at 20Khz, all the way to 22.5KHz. A mild 6db/octave roll off from 10KHz using the basic Track EQ in Vegas pulls back the 'over'. I don't know what this track was created with, I know it was not any of the SCS products.

Bob.
jbolley wrote on 6/8/2009, 8:12 AM
Perhaps it was recorded with emphasis.

Jesse
Geoff_Wood wrote on 6/8/2009, 8:31 PM
Whatever it was recorded with, it is unusual to have significant quantities of anything at those frequencies....

geoff