Comments

Trichome wrote on 4/28/2004, 2:00 PM
I like the changes made to the 5.1 layout and levels myself.
I find it much more natural workflow, but that is just me.
JJKizak wrote on 4/28/2004, 2:04 PM
Well it doesn't bother me any because I had to change it to "0"
anyway.

JJK
BJ_M wrote on 4/28/2004, 2:57 PM
"Well it doesn't bother me any because I had to change it to "0"
anyway."

ditto
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/28/2004, 5:07 PM
Same here, but to add a side comment regarding a conversation I had with a different software vendor at NAB... (Not a Sony person)
"No matter what we do to make things better, we can never please everyone with everything, ever. Changing one button from bright red to dark red in our capture app pissed off enough people to generate a couple hundred emails, and pleased enough people to generate a couple hundred emails.
Just goes to show ya, we're all creatures of habit.
Luxo wrote on 4/28/2004, 5:27 PM
Ok, so I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority? It's no big deal, I can always just click the center speaker icon and turn it off for most of my tracks. I was just wondering if the default setting was hidden somewhere. I didn't see it in the Internal settings.

I have to say I'm surprised to hear everyone is so liberal with their center channel. A proper surround mix would include only principal dialog in the center channel, and route music and ambient effects to the sides and surrounds. But perhaps you guys aren't mixing narrative video? What is the rule of thumb for music video mixes and 5.1 audio content?
donp wrote on 4/28/2004, 7:02 PM
I have been doing some 3.1 Dolby (l,C,R) tracks but the Lr and Rr channels show up too but I really don't mind that either.
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/28/2004, 8:10 PM
Luxo, we're doing some narrative work, but I mix from the vocal down, rather than the bottom/bed, up. Hence, starting at -.03 on my dialog channel.
But, everyone has their own way of working. It's just as time consuming to go from 0dB down as it is to go from infinity up... :-)
B_JM wrote on 4/29/2004, 6:39 AM
click on the speaker icons on the channels you don't want and turn them off ..

reply to "donp326"

donp wrote on 4/29/2004, 10:00 AM
I do that, only the L,C,R and LFE are activated ands busses are only assigned for these but I'm sure I'm doing something I don't know about to get the Lr and Rr channels.
SonyMLogan wrote on 4/29/2004, 1:20 PM
Luxo -

The Vegas 4.0 default was indeed intended to support the notion that most audio would not be panned into the center - and thus -inf dB was the proper default. And so it would have been in Vegas 5.0 except that with the addition of a compound trim/automated surround pan it became necessary to make the default be 0dB. Without this change, the user would have to tweak both the trim and the automated pan controls in order to set the center to 0dB. The same argument applied to the pan knob default - which was front/center in V4, but is now center/center in V5.