8.0b render issue

Guy S. wrote on 4/11/2008, 2:27 PM
I finally upgraded to 8b, and presto: rendering errors...

I rendered a 55 minute .m2v file from version 8.0a without any problem. Then I "upgraded" to 8.0b and rendered a 60-minute file.

About 30 minutes into the rendered .m2v file, the video portion begins to rapidly and randomly cut back and forth between different points in the video. The audio plays normally, but it's completely out of sync. with the video.

NOTES:
Captured as .m2t in Vegas
Video clips behaved normally while playing in Vegas, but did stutter while working with them in DVD Architect

Is this a known bug? If so, are there any workarounds, or do I need to go back to Vegas 8a?

Comments

Guy S. wrote on 4/11/2008, 2:34 PM
More notes:
Magic Bullet Movie Looks is applied to the final output (GPU acceleration ON).

8a render was made with 55minutes of video on the timeline; I added the balance of my footage to the end of it and then rendered just the added footage.
blink3times wrote on 4/11/2008, 2:45 PM
It may have something to do with Magic Bullet. I render out a lot of M2V's with Vegas (without Magic) and have no problems
Guy S. wrote on 4/11/2008, 3:17 PM
Possibly, but I used MB for both renders.

Basically, I threw the contents of tape 1 up on the timeline and rendered it. Then upgraded to 8b, added the contents of tape 2 and rendered just that extra footage.

So the only things that changed were the length of the program and the version of Vegas. It was a 4-hour render, so I hate to just try it again unless I have something different to try.

I generally don't upgrade anything that's working unless there's a real good reason. The reason in this case is that Vegas was repeatedly closing unexpectedly.

I normally shoot with Sony cams, but this footage was shot with a Canon HV20 in 24p, project set to 23.997P (I didn't do any pulldown removal).

I've been using Vegas since version 4 and I've never encountered anything other than completely drama-free stability and performance. It has to be related to the HV20 footage and/or a setting...

Laura K wrote on 4/13/2008, 10:33 AM
You are not the only one having render errors. Problem is nobody seems to know the answer for fixing the problem.
That would be up to Sony.
L
TimTyler wrote on 4/13/2008, 10:39 AM
I've had the same problems, also on projects with Magic Bullet.
Guy S. wrote on 4/14/2008, 10:28 AM
I had turned Off Quantize To Frames while editing the audio, and as a result some of the video clips were not cut at the frame boundaries. I fixed this, re-rendered and...

... the re-rendered version is even worse: The first three seconds of video loops over and over throughout the entire 1-hour clip.

I will put the 2nd hour of the program into its own timeline and render again.

I'll keep everyone posted...

Terje wrote on 4/14/2008, 5:52 PM
I normally shoot with Sony cams, but this footage was shot with a Canon HV20 in 24p, project set to 23.997P (I didn't do any pulldown removal).

This may be a problem, but I guess Vegas should be able to handle it. When you shoot 24p with the Canon, it wraps it in a 30i video stream. This means that you are dropping a 30i clip onto a 24p timeline. Probably not the best way to do it for optimal result. Vegas does not recognize the canon video as 24p.

If you want to use a 24p timeline and export into 24p I would recommend first doing the pull-down on the video. There are many ways to do that, from easy to less easy and free to $$$s.
DJPadre wrote on 4/14/2008, 8:41 PM
this is not an mb2 issue, its vegas mismanagement of the pagefile.

v4 and v5 had this issue with the flash transition, which was kinda cool for an effect, but it seems v8 also has this frame reference loss. Hapopens more with smal tiny cuts in m2t now... vegas needs to write up an m2t edit log file which is referenced during rendering because it seems it cannot calculate its own pagefile management without some help...