8mm film already transf to video tape with flicker.

B.Verlik wrote on 2/12/2005, 1:09 AM
Is there anything in Vegas tools that will allow me to take the projector flicker out of an 8mm film, filmed with a video camera onto an S-VHS tape? In other words, I don't have access to the original film, just the bad video tape. Is there a way to simply remove the flicker and make it look as normal as possible? (nothing was used when the 8mm film was video taped)

Comments

farss wrote on 2/12/2005, 1:33 AM
There's a deflicker plugin for VirtualDub, do a search here, it's come up a few times.
There is a bit of a trap, some of the lficker can be on the film. I don't know for certain what caused it but it may have been the old exposure systems hunting. DeFlicker will not fix this as it's outside the range over which deflicker monitors the levels.
Bob.

johnmeyer wrote on 2/12/2005, 8:50 AM
Here's the link to the VirtualDub deflicker filter:

Deflicker Filter

Here's the download for VirtualDub:

Virtualdub download

If you really want to get into this, there is a wonderful filter for removing dust and dirt from old film, although it works best only if you have access to the original progressive film frames.
JJKizak wrote on 2/12/2005, 9:18 AM
Or try using the "reduce interlace flicker" or velocity changes one way or the other. Sometimes "force resample" helps.

JJK
B.Verlik wrote on 2/12/2005, 1:08 PM
Thank you for your replies. I've had Virtual Dub for a while, but it never worked until lately when a new codec was passed around and it started working once installed. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten back to it yet. Now, I'll have a reason to get back to it. (I hope it ain't too much of a pain to figure out.) I'm slow, but I'll get it. Thanks again.
PS: I'm not sure of what "force resample" is. Is this only on Vegas 5 or is this in VirtualDub? I'm still on Vegas 4.0d and just may not know what the term means.
johnmeyer wrote on 2/12/2005, 1:15 PM
force resample

It's in V4 and V5. Right-click on event. Select properties. You'll see it there.