9.0d&e - slow loading Lagarith

mjr38 wrote on 5/17/2010, 6:24 AM
I believe I've pin-pointed at least one of the factors involved ... my current project consists almost exclusively of SD AVIs using the Lagarith codec (i.e. saved from VirtualDub using the Lagarith codec for compression subsequent to the Deshaker script) and takes roughly 10 minutes to open with 9.0e ... compared to ~6 sec when the aviplug.dll installed with 9.0e is replaced by the 9.0c version. On a hunch I tried an old project comprising only "dvsd" codec AVIs ... which opened in only a few seconds in the as-installed 9.0e (both 32 & 64 bit). In both cases, there were no audio tracks in the projects. Since this was on the same computer, with the same OS (Win 7-64), it would appear that the Lagarith codec has become "odd-ball" with the two most recent versions of Vegas Pro :(

Comments

dreamlx wrote on 5/17/2010, 1:25 PM
You seem to have exactly the same problem with Lagarith files I am having with Cineform files. Are your files on a local harddisk or a network drive ? Please contact customer support about this issue as if more people are contacting them, it might be easier for them to find common things between people having the issue.
John_Cline wrote on 5/17/2010, 1:56 PM
I just this minute started working on a project with HD Lagarith .AVI files on a WinXP machine and I have noticed the same slow loading behavior with 9.0e. When selecting a Lagarith file from the Explorer in Vegas, it takes perhaps 15 to 30 seconds for the hourglass to stop and let me drag the file onto the timeline. I'll also try this on my Win7/64 machine and report this to Sony.
John_Cline wrote on 5/17/2010, 2:55 PM
Standard DV, Blackmagic Intensity MJPEG and Cineform NeoHD v5 .AVI files all load just fine. Lagarith files are definately slow to load. Once they do load, they work as expected.
BittenByTheBug wrote on 5/17/2010, 3:07 PM
A while ago when I tried to find a good codec for better playback on the timeline, I found that Lagarith-encoded HD AVI clips actually played worse than uncompressed HD AVI clips. This despite the fact that Lagarith-encoded clips were much smaller in file size than uncompressed HD AVI.

I have since run into the same playback issue with Lagarith-encoded AVI clips several times and have since tried to avoid using Lagarith.

This could be another indication that something is not right with how Lagarith is handled by Vegas. I started with Vegas 9c so I wouldn't know how prior versions handled Lagarith.
erikd wrote on 5/18/2010, 3:05 AM
"i.e. saved from VirtualDub"

The file I found that was causing a slow load for me in V9d &e had listed in its properties tab for General>Summary>Software... VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)

Could there be a VirtualDub link to the slow load issue?

Erik
dreamlx wrote on 5/18/2010, 10:36 AM
For my part, I am using Virtualdub to generate the Cineform files. Are other ones having the problem also using Virtualdub ?
John_Cline wrote on 5/18/2010, 10:50 AM
Hmmm, the Lagarith files with which I am experiencing slow loading were indeed generated by Virtual Dub. I have some other Lagarith files which were generated by Vegas itself, I'll check and see if there is any difference when I'm on that machine later today.
VanLazarus wrote on 5/19/2010, 12:11 AM
In 9.0d, I was getting slow project loads with Cineform clips generated in NeoScene.... so I don't think VirtualDub is the problem.

Those same Cineform clip projects are loading fast in 9.0e.
mjr38 wrote on 5/19/2010, 4:34 AM
Update ...
I re-saved all the Lagarith AVIs in my project -- from VirtualDub (1.9.8 Build 32706/release), but using the Panasonic "dvsd" codec this time. The project then took almost 6 minutes to open in 9.0e, i.e. about 60% of the time to load with the Lagarith AVIs. Replacing the 9.0e version of aviplug.dll (build 11791/32-bit) with the 9.0c version (build 10486/32-bit), the same project took only 9 sec to open. So, naively, it would seem that besides the "Lagarith effect", SD AVIs saved from VirtualDub do indeed take much longer to open in 9.0e as compared to 9.0c.
erikd wrote on 5/27/2010, 1:37 AM
"Hmmm, the Lagarith files with which I am experiencing slow loading were indeed generated by Virtual Dub. I have some other Lagarith files which were generated by Vegas itself, I'll check and see if there is any difference when I'm on that machine later today."

John, I bumped this to see if you know any more on this.

Erik
ingvarai wrote on 5/27/2010, 2:30 AM
A while ago when I tried to find a good codec for better playback on the timeline, I found that Lagarith-encoded HD AVI clips actually played worse than uncompressed HD AVI clips. This despite the fact that Lagarith-encoded clips were much smaller in file size than uncompressed HD AVI.
The purpose of compressing AVI is to reduce the file size. Since decompressing takes time, Lagarith can actually be slower than uncompressed AVI if you have fast harddisks. Use Lagarith for what it is made for - to reduce file size.
Ingvar
John_Cline wrote on 5/28/2010, 3:26 AM
Erik,

Lagarith files from Virtual Dub exhibit the slow loading problem but Lagarith files rendered with Vegas are fine. This is odd since I haven't updated either Virtual Dub or the Lagarith codec in a while. The only thing that changed here is a new version of Vegas.

John
malowz wrote on 5/30/2010, 3:45 PM
SAME PROBLEM HERE.

slow loading (about 6 min.) a small project, 10 avi files (using canopus hq codec)

9.0c aviplug.dll = load in 4 seconds
9.0d aviplug.dll = load in 6 minutes
9.0e aviplug.dll = load in 6 minutes

so, the problem really persist...

also, my files came from virtualdub too.
John_Cline wrote on 5/30/2010, 3:57 PM
Of those of us that are having problems with Virtual Dub generated AVI files, which version of Virtaul Dub are you using? Mine were generated with the latest version, v1.9.9.
Grazie wrote on 5/30/2010, 10:52 PM
I've been using Lagarith within the New Deshaker script, and that employs Virtual Dub. I'm going to keep my eye on this.

Grazie