AC3 not playing

Robert Glotzbach wrote on 8/24/2008, 12:40 PM
Hello All,

After a computer crash I had to reinstall Vegas 5.
When trying to play a mpeg file with AC3 sound, it does not play the sound.
The point is that I did not use Vegas for a long time so I cannot remember if it could play these file or not in the past.
Curious is that my Acid 6 pro plays the sound just fine and according to this little program “Gspot” the codecs is installed.
Any thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Robert

Comments

blink3times wrote on 8/24/2008, 3:21 PM
As far as I know Vegas (whether you're talking 5 or 8) does not recognize a mpeg file with AC3 unless it's in the form of a VOB and taken directly off of a disk. Vegas will only import AC3 in the form of a VOB off a disk
TGS wrote on 8/24/2008, 4:07 PM
You can play them in Vegas DVD-Architect, but not 5.1 as 5.1,
5.1 will be played back thru 2 channels.
johnmeyer wrote on 8/24/2008, 7:07 PM
My old workaround for putting AC-3 files directly into Vegas may be helpful:

Easy import & edit AC3 in Vegas
Robert Glotzbach wrote on 8/27/2008, 8:25 AM
Thanks gentlemen for the helpful words.
Interesting to hear that Vegas can read mpeg only with the VOB extension, I actually renamed my vob to mpeg, shouldn’t have done so then. Anyway after renaming back to mpeg, still no luck.
But these answers helped me to further investigate were the problem might be, unfortunately no solution yet. When running “Gspot” and trying to play the audio, it gives me a message about not being able to connect “Sonic HD demuxer”, so this must be it then I guess?
It also reminds me something strange when registering the software, I think something along the lines of a plug in not being fully unlocked. Is there a way of checking if the decoder got registered correctly and if not to fix that?
I also installed DVD Architect in the hope it would help but it did not.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Kind regards, Robert

TGS wrote on 8/27/2008, 10:32 AM
I've never had a problem playing back the mpeg video and ac3 in DVD- Architect, both at the same time. Not exactly the smoothest playback for video, but it works. Was this piece of video created in Vegas? When you import the mpeg2 into DVD-A, be sure both the mpeg2 and ac3 are in the same folder and the title of the ac3 is exactly the same, except for the extension.

I also thought I had read here, that the ac3 dlls were in DVD-A. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
I'm also assuming you're talking about mpeg and ac3 before being 'prepared' for a DVD
LJA wrote on 8/27/2008, 10:34 AM
I have no trouble importing an MPG with 5.1 AC3 onto the Vegas timeline (V8.0b) from the explorer pane.