Comments

JackW wrote on 8/28/2005, 1:04 PM
I can't speak to the monitor, but be very careful with BestBuy. Make sure exactly what there policy is on returns, restocking fees, etc., and get it in writing.. We nearly got badly burned by this company, which wanted a 25% restocking fee on the return of a camera which, we discovered after we got it home, didn't have the features we were looking for. It took a huge battle with the store manager, and threat of our attorney, before they would take it back.

Jack
stepfour wrote on 8/29/2005, 1:12 AM
LG has a track record of making very good panels and they do make a lot of them. That panel sounds very good, spec-wise. I wonder how the 8ms pixel response was calculated. If it is accurate, that is VERY good for a panel of that size. When I looked at the link, it didn't make me think about video editing. Instead it reminded me that college football season is upon us again. I imagine it would make a decent editing LCD also, as long as there's no football game on, haha.

Looks like BB has a deep discount going on that one. Nice buy. JackW is right, though. Be sure you're sure. That one falls in the LCD TV rather than computer LCD category. For obvious reasons, BB and most retailers are very leery on returns of those kinds of items and will likely charge to restock. Perhaps ask them if you can bring your own signal and hook it up to the panel to see what it looks like with your stuff. Bring your camera and try the DVI-in, S-video, etc. Another thing to consider is, with Labor Day coming, BB might be dropping some 10% coupons on items like that.
Edin1 wrote on 8/29/2005, 1:20 AM
All pluses, if the specs are true, and the warranty of 3 years is another big plus. You do want such warranty for that kind of money.
If you have the money to burn, I would say "Go Ahead!".
I know that I would buy it if I had the money right now.
ReneH wrote on 8/29/2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've been wanting to buy a good size lcd tv for video editing and wanted to get advice on whether its a godd purchase for vid editing.
John_Cline wrote on 8/29/2005, 1:29 PM
If you're going to be doing any color correcting or chroma keying, it is probably a better idea to get a CRT-based "production" monitor. For the kind of money you're looking at spending on a LCD monitor, you can get a great, much more accurate CRT monitor. For consumers just interested in straight viewing of broadcast or DVD material, LCD's are convenient, if not outrageously expensive, but for ultimate image quality, particularly in a production envionment, CRT still rules. Check out this article:

CRT vs. LCD and Plasma

John