AI Smart Mask 2.0 Feedback

JoeK wrote on 4/14/2024, 2:21 AM

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the recent update to V21 with focusing specifically to the introduction of AI Smart Mask 2.0. As someone who's been using the software for a while now, I was eager to dive into this new feature and see how it could improve my editing process.

First off, let me say that I'm really impressed with AI Smart Mask 2.0. It's definitely not perfect, there are some rough edges, but the impact it's had on my workflow is undeniable. Tasks that used to take me hours to manually mask can now be done in a matter of minutes, thanks to the efficiency and accuracy of the AI. Though still requires some manual tinkering afterwards

That being said, there are a couple of areas where I think there's room for improvement. One thing that stood out to me is the utilization of hardware resources. I have a pretty beefy GPU (RTX 3090 Ti with 24GB of VRAM), but it feels like the software isn't fully taking advantage of it. I'd love to see it push my GPU to the max for even more power, or maybe even introduce parallel processing for tasks like frame-by-frame analysis within clips.

Another thing to note is that enabling auto-analysis can sometimes lead to crashes, especially if you're jumping around between different parts of your project quickly. It's a powerful feature, but it definitely needs some work in terms of stability.

I do wish to see some sort of button that can 'remask' a portion of selected time line, instead of deleting keyframes and reapplying complete masking again.

There's also some hickups that seem to occur in random spots on solid colors that do not change in motion that occur if something else in the selected mask that moves just a tad too quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/s5E3UDr.png

Another thing that bothers me, is when Motion tracking it doesn't return back to the original spot afterwards, lets say im on frame 361, i track forward motion, it finishes, its at frame 473. I would like for it to return back to frame 361 to resume work flow.

There's also a chance of destroying your current work session if you hit undo while in the tracking point mode the ( + ) symbol, if you place one down when you didn't mean to, the program becomes unstable and tells you to save or just straight crashes. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. SO be aware of that, avoid undo button when using smart mask, delete the point with the Delete ( X ) button in the float menu. Speaking of floating menu, instead of it being locked to the preview window, and moving away on in when zooming in, it should be at least docked some where or in the even fx window it self. https://i.imgur.com/wxlhG95.mp4 it's really annoying moving away from it and basically dragging it along like a sack of potatoes.

I'm sure there are other things that will cross my mind, but these are the main things that I personally experienced / suggest that can improve for others too.

Comments

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 4/14/2024, 11:28 PM

@JoeK It's very good to get such an indepth feedback on this new feature.

VEGASDerek wrote on 4/15/2024, 9:20 AM

@JoeK

Thank you for the feedback. I have reported this to the team and we will look into some improvements/fixes for the next version of VEGAS.

Paul-Jonack wrote on 4/19/2024, 3:28 PM

Hey, I also play around with this feature now. I think the AI Part is also a server problem with Magix. Since everyone is playing with it it can take longer for the Servers to calculate it.

Also I dont know how to change the the background because it doesnt creates a bezier Mask after it finished the mask. Or do I need to complete the Mask in the Clip? I have also a very good PC but this takes ages on a 6 second Clip now.

VEGASDerek wrote on 4/19/2024, 5:26 PM

Hey, I also play around with this feature now. I think the AI Part is also a server problem with Magix. Since everyone is playing with it it can take longer for the Servers to calculate it.

Everything is done on your machine locally for these AI video effects. Speed is dependent on your hardware.