AlexB - tell about the XP network over firewire problem

PixelStuff wrote on 2/8/2003, 11:04 PM
AlexB,

What did you mean in the other thread when you mentioned the XP network over firewire problem and turning it off? I've had some trouble with my only firewire drive causing dropped frames from my cameras when the drive is turned on. I'm wondering if it might be related.

JBJones

Comments

AlexB wrote on 2/9/2003, 5:49 AM
Sorry, this is something I never had on my own computer (it's win2k), but read about it in several forums. Some people encountered problems with XP claiming the firewire card for networking, which obviously is built-in in XP. XP has a habit of locking hardware to specific software, blocking access from other programs. Someone with XP please step in!
A.
dcrandall wrote on 2/9/2003, 7:58 AM
XP will automatically set up the 1394 (firewire) to be used as a network connection. You can disable this by:
1) Go to the "Control Panel" and select "Network Connections"
2) If you see a "1394 Connection" right click on it and select "disable"

I don't know if this will help with your dropped frames problem. I had this connection enabled for several months and never had a dropped frame. However, disabling this connection did help my external preview run more smoothly.
  • Velocity Micro Z55 Desktop Computer
  • ASUS Prime Z270M-Plus Motherboard
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2GHz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400MHz
  • 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Driver Version: Studio Driver 452.06
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit v1909
  • Vegas Pro 18.0 Build 284
PixelStuff wrote on 2/9/2003, 11:00 PM
Well, whatever problem I'm having has nothing to do with data going to the FireWire drive itself. I get dropped frames from my camera just by the act of having the drive turned on. In other words printing to tape from the main (C) or secondary (G) IDE drives will drop frames when I have my external FireWire drive (H) turned on. The problem goes away as soon as I turn off the drive.

I'll see if this network thingy might help.

JBJones