Another idea for Vegas 6

SimonW wrote on 1/12/2005, 9:32 AM
Recently I had a project that needed some audio layed out for a friend who was making a theatrical play. I used Vegas for this. Some of the sounds (narration) had some reverb and some other effects applied to them. Now one of his actresses has had to leave the production and is being replaced by someone new. So I need to insert her dialogue in place of the old actress.

Herein lies the problem. I can't remember what additional filters I used originally!

Because Vegas applies many filters by saving a new file instead of in realtime, there is no record of settings used.

Perhaps it would be useful if the VEG file saved information on what filters have been used on audio takes so that even though it has to create a seperate rendered audio file, there is still a record of what was done to it. Sure I could write down the settings, but surely it would be better for the software to keep track of this stuff.

Comments

SimonW wrote on 1/12/2005, 9:34 AM
In fact this problem also happens while editing. Sometimes I need to apply the same filters to many sounds, but even while editing I forget what i just did (bad memory!)

So by keeping track of what filters have been used we could cut and paste attributes like we do for video.
PierreB wrote on 1/12/2005, 9:38 AM
A build on that:

It would be good (not essential, but good) if it were possible to print or export the properties of the project. I'd also like to be able to export or print things like the font used in text events. Finally, some ability to print or export performance figures (number of scenes, total time, etc) would be neat.

Pierre
BrianStanding wrote on 1/12/2005, 10:10 AM
Don't you have the original .VEG file from which you created the AVI files? Even if you don't have the original media, this should contain all the FX settings... I think.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Vegas does let you save and reuse FX chains and settings. If you get in the habit of saving an FX chain whenever you are doing a complex operation that you may repeat, you can avoid this problem.
SimonW wrote on 1/12/2005, 2:39 PM
True, but sometimes it is just one effect. Besides, even if I was to make an audio FX chain I still wouldn't be able to cut and paste those effects over many audio clips.

FX settings are not saved with the VEG because unlike video, the audio is always rendered out as a separate file unless using audio bus filters.
Sullivan wrote on 1/12/2005, 3:54 PM
What? Huh?

Vegas saves all the effects settings in the .VEG file. Even if you use keyframe automation. I do this all the time.

There must be something special about your workflow that I don't understand.
PH125 wrote on 1/12/2005, 4:58 PM
A little off topic, but one time I opened a project to re-edit after I had reformated my PC, and there were a lot of fonts missing. The text was all screwed up, and I thought I had to do it all over again. Before I did that, I decided to open the .VEG file in notepad, and look through the code. After a few minutes, i found the line of text that was screwed up, scrolled over, and after it was the font which it had originally used. I went to a font site, downloaded the font, and was able to finish editing wothout a problem. Just a useful trick if anyone didn't know that already.
PeterWright wrote on 1/12/2005, 5:20 PM
It sounds like you're using non-realtime event FX, where an effect is applied and then replaces the original event. This does make it harder to keep track of what's been done.

I never do this - either use buses or track level FX. Especially useful for dialogue - give each performer their own audio track, and apply individual FX via the Track Header.
Peeks wrote on 1/12/2005, 6:01 PM
I know what you mean, i had the exact same problem wherein i couldn't reproduce the effect. But there lies the challenge of being able to discover it again.

My suggestion would be for Vegas to move further and incorporate 3D orientation with 3D texts and drawing settings? I think that would be a really really good addition so i basically just work with Vegas. Just a thought.Ü
singapuree wrote on 1/13/2005, 2:04 AM
Whilst we are at it can we have the ability to go to in or out point of a selection, say ctrl+g+i or ctrl+g+[ for in point and ctrl+g+o or ctrl+g+] for out point. I know that Vegas 5 has a Shift+L for jumping to the current selection start point but there's none for jumping to the end of the selection. I would prefer the above keystrokes as the seem intuitive. Ctrl+g for goto followed by an I or O for the in or out points or the brackets. This should be possible in both the trimmer and the timeline. I know that one could workaround using makers but then that involves remembering to drop markers before selecting.
SimonW wrote on 1/13/2005, 3:27 AM
No it doesn't! It saves any video FX you have applied, and any track level or bus audio effects but it does NOT save non realtime effects you have applied to audio as it renders such effects out to a seperate audio file.
FuTz wrote on 1/13/2005, 4:39 AM

Anybody's got a clue as to when V6 is expected ?
brazucadf wrote on 1/13/2005, 6:02 AM
More Power in the generator of characters. Type Characters in 3D with depth. Using Texture.

!!!This text was translated automatically of the Portuguese!!!
Sullivan wrote on 1/13/2005, 3:35 PM
>it does NOT save non realtime effects you have applied to
>audio as it renders such effects out to a seperate audio file

Ah! Understood. I've never even tried non-realtime effects.

Orcatek wrote on 1/13/2005, 6:09 PM
Interesting, but it will probably need to be Vegas 7.

I'm sure Vegas 6 is close to being in the can. Features set most certainly is.

pwppch wrote on 1/14/2005, 10:33 AM
FX settings are not saved with the VEG because unlike video, the audio is always rendered out as a separate file unless using audio bus filters.

This is incorrect. All project audio FX settings, whether track or bus, are saved as part of the project.
FuTz wrote on 1/14/2005, 12:19 PM

Vegas 6
when?
anyboody?

o_o
busterkeaton wrote on 1/14/2005, 12:50 PM
I would guess it's going to be at least a year after Vegas 5 debuted. So I would think it would be after April this year.
mark2929 wrote on 1/14/2005, 2:11 PM
If you right click on Sound track and Apply non real time event FX ....Then apply various Plugins to the Sound... The Track is replaced with no record of plugins used ...So if I used a certain Mike And/ or other Plugins with various settings I would have to make a note of this... At least this is what I have always thought.. Unless Im doing something/Not doing something right here...?
MJhig wrote on 1/14/2005, 3:03 PM
Ah, might offer another work flow approach?

Only use Apply non real time event FX as a last resort. For example you're reaching you're system's limit with the project etc.

Even then, I seldom have to resort to using non real time event FX if ever.

If I want to apply an FX to only one event I simply put the event in another track and use real time FX.

If my project is staggering my system, and that's rare with more than 20 audio tracks, at least 3 plugins in each track and numerous FX in busses consistently I'll render some tracks to new tracks and mute the originals.

My most common reason for rendering to a new track is for tracks I want to use Acoustic Mirror on as it doesn't run with ASIO drivers or I want to create a stem of the drum tracks.

But in all cases I keep the original tracks and mute them so northing's lost as far as FX settings.

You could take it a step further if you like. Render all your tracks using real time FX to new tracks, delete all the original tracks and save the project as another name. Veg files are small and you would have a .veg with all the original tracks and FX settings and one with all the rendered tracks.

Avoid destructive editing if at all possible and if you can't, leave a trail ;-)

MJ
FuTz wrote on 1/16/2005, 12:29 PM
buster: that makes sense...
And after seeing what they did with Acid, I'd guess we seriously could expect some kind of "nested timeline" this time (ie the "timeline folders" in Acid).
Allelluia!

Now, if we just had this storyboard gizmo that's been discussed on this forum when they released V5, that'd be Heaven!
Nat wrote on 1/16/2005, 12:35 PM
FuTz :
Don't confuse nested timelines with folder tracks ! While both are nice they aren't the same thing at all. Folder tracks are great to organize the timeline better, but nested timelines is also very useful because it will allow you to group stuff both vertically and horizontally in one big block you can move around and apply effects to.
I'd personaly like to see both in Vegas 6, that would really make the timeline a better place to be (even though it's pretty good already)
FuTz wrote on 1/16/2005, 12:45 PM
Oh... got it ! thanks for precisions Nat