Any free text animation (VMS6+DVD Platinum)?

Ptero wrote on 4/3/2006, 11:24 AM
I'd like to be able to to some animated 3-D text for a title sequence, possibly rotating, zooming etc. Since I only need this for one project I'd rather not spend money if I can get something that's free or very cheap. Anyone here have any recommendations for plugins that would let me do something basic? (Or perhaps a separate tool that would let me create an animation and save it in AVI format that I can drag into VMS?)

Comments

IanG wrote on 4/3/2006, 2:56 PM
Have a look at BluffTitler. It's not free, but it's cheaper and better than other titling apps I've tried.

Ian G.
jimmyz wrote on 4/3/2006, 7:26 PM
http://www.ulead.com/c3ds/runme.htm
If I remember the titles I played with didn't have
watermarks or limitations except time.
Ptero wrote on 4/4/2006, 5:57 AM
Thanks all. I've downloaded the demo versions of both (BluffTitler and the Ulead product) since they're about the same price, and I'll compare before I make a decision.

--P
soaringrocks wrote on 4/4/2006, 12:52 PM
Let us know what one you eventually choose and why. I've been thinking about this and would appreciate other opinions too.
Ptero wrote on 4/14/2006, 11:26 AM
Update...

BluffTitler seems to have a problem on my system (XP) - none of the selection dropdowns for fonts, effects or anything else are working. Clicking the arrow opens the "window" but it's empty. The only way to select something AND see what it is you're selecting is to use the up/down arrows. I'll try it on another system before I give up on it.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

I haven't tried the Ulead offering yet - before you can download it you have to sign up as a Ulead member, and to complete your registration you have to click a link in a mail their system sends you - and which I'm still waiting for.
jimmyz wrote on 4/14/2006, 5:13 PM
I just downloaded and installed heroglyph rapid and it works within vms platinum.
I made a cool title. It's a 30 day trial.
http://www.heroglyph.com/gb/index.html
IanG wrote on 4/15/2006, 6:17 AM
>BluffTitler seems to have a problem on my system (XP) - none of the selection dropdowns for fonts, effects or anything else are working. Clicking the arrow opens the "window" but it's empty. The only way to select something AND see what it is you're selecting is to use the up/down arrows. I'll try it on another system before I give up on it.

Have you had a look at the instructional video? I found it very helpful, but failing that I'd go for a reinstall and then contact tech support if that doesn't work .

Ian G.
jtuffen wrote on 4/16/2006, 1:35 PM
If you're willing to put some effort in, and get a really flexible tool for all sorts of 3D stuff, then 'Blender' might be worth a try... it's a free 3D rendering application, it can do text, animation etc. etc.

Might be overkill, but it's a fine program :)

john..

( find it at http://www.blender.org )
Ptero wrote on 4/27/2006, 11:58 AM
I looked at this... then remembered that Bryce 5, which I already have, will do this too (I never used the animation before and basically forgot about it). Doh! Ok, admittedly I was looking for something geared toward titles only, but hey...

As an alternative to Bryce, E-on software (e-onsoftware.com) have a range of similar 3-D rendering products called "Vue" and currently Vue Esprit (normally priced around $250) can be downloaded for $99 (the shelf price of their entry-level Vue Easel). Just FYI for you guys - since I already have Bryce I'll probably stick with it.

[Update - the e-on web page is misleading. While the main page says that Esprit is "from" $99 that price is only good if you're upgrading from Easel. A full download is actually $149 (not bad considering it's $249 boxed).]
RandyS wrote on 4/28/2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,

I'm a Flash developer and new VMS user (and loving it). One of the applications I use regularly for animating text in Flash is SwishMax. http://www.swishzone.com/. Its not 3D but it has a ton of effects. It can output as .swf or .avi, VMS can import .swf files.

Cheers,
Randy