Architect 3.0 error burning in Windows 7

josie_bear2003 wrote on 3/13/2010, 3:12 AM
Hi all,

Recently bought a new Dell Studio 15, running on Windows 7.

Installed Vegas Movie Studio 6 and DVD Architect 3.0 last night. Opened previously prepared project (from my old XP laptop) in Architect, all seemed fine. On trying to burn, it gets through the lead-in, then gets to about 6% or thereabouts, freezes, and after a few mins comes up with an error saying "The command failed due to a IOCTL error. Your interface or drive may be configured incorrectly".

I've only found one other reference to this error for DVD Architect on a google search, and the answer wasn't particularly helpful.

I'm using HP DVD-Rs at 8x. I'm able to burn using other programmes, just not through Architect 3.0.

Is there a fix for this or is it because it's an older version and won't run on Windows 7? Happy to buy the upgrade but concerned it's not actually a compatiblity problem and the same thing may occur after spending on the latest version

Comments

Steve Grisetti wrote on 3/13/2010, 5:48 AM
Well, aside from the fact that you're using a very old version of the software that may not work on Windows 7 (particularly if you're using the 64-bit version of the operating system), it might be helpful to know more about your source video.

Are you trying to create a DVD from DVD-quality MPEGs output from Vegas, or are you using another video source? It's also more of a challenge if you try to use video directly from a camcorder or camera in DVD Architect.

Though the fact that your error seems to indicate a problem interfacing with your hardware does seem to indicate a problem working with the Windows 7 64-bit drivers.
josie_bear2003 wrote on 3/13/2010, 6:18 AM
Yes, I am using 64-bit version. The video files were produced in Vegas (via files from a Sony Handycam), rendered to MPEG-2.

Just about to try burning a different project in Architect in case it's a problem with just that one, so will let you know the outcome.

I know it's a very old version, and like I said, happy to accept that I may need to get the latest version, but wanted to confirm whether those in the know think this will solve my problem.

Many thanks for your help.
josie_bear2003 wrote on 3/13/2010, 7:00 AM
Ok, even more confused now. I've managed to burn a different project to DVD, also originally completed on my XP laptop, but it will play in PowerDVD and not in Windows Media Player which is saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD. The disc was created in a manner that the Player does not support."

I don't understand why this is happening! It's also working normally in a DVD player.

I've tried another DVD created in Architect on my old computer and that is also playing fine in WMPlayer.

But, aside from that peculiar problem, the difference with this disc was that I prepared the file again before burning. Last time I used the files prepared on my old laptop and went straight to burn. So about to try the project that was getting the error again but this time preparing it as well.

josie_bear2003 wrote on 3/13/2010, 7:18 AM
No such luck, exactly the same IOCTL error even though I prepared the project from scratch this time.

These are the details if they're any use - 'SFMMCX'-(17)
'SCSI Device 1'-(1)
-'TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633C D700'-(0)
Module sfmmcx.cpp Line 1805

Command: 2a 00 00 02 3e 40 00 00 20 00
Sense: 02 04 08
Info: 00 00 00 00
Specific: 80 ff ff
josie_bear2003 wrote on 3/13/2010, 7:42 AM
Just decided to try a completely different project - again, it's stopped on 6% burning and come up with the error.

Interestingly, this one was a longer DVD again - about an hour - as was the first one with the error. Yet it burnt a 3 minute piece with no problems.

Details -
'SFMMCX'-(17)
'SCSI Device 1'-(1)
-'TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633C D700'-(0)
Module sfmmcx.cpp Line 1805

Command: 2a 00 00 01 c1 60 00 00 20 00
Sense: 02 04 08
Info: 00 00 00 00
Specific: 80 ff ff
josie_bear2003 wrote on 3/13/2010, 8:56 AM
Ok, so it'll burn to DVD+R but won't burn to DVD-R if the project is over 3 minutes long. Go figure! At least it's not completely defunct.
bStro wrote on 3/13/2010, 1:35 PM
Do you still have your old computer or parts from it? Since you're getting an error during the burn step, first thing I would recommend, if possible, is putting your old burner into the new computer and see if DVDAS will burn properly with that. DVD Architect has always had compatibility issues with burners, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if a 2+ year old version has issues with a recently manufactured burner.

If you're still having trouble (or if the old burner is already gone), you might get away with just upgrading DVDAS rather than a whole Vegas Movie Studio package -- Sony says DVDAS 4.5 by itself. Or there's always the old standby: Design and prepare your project with DVDAS and burn to disc with some other program.

Rob