Archiving iLink video

Roboburger wrote on 3/15/2011, 1:11 PM
Hello all- I'm an audio guy, new to the video side. I've been a Sound Forge user for a decade now.

My new place of employment wants for me to archive some old videos, and they were shot on Sony camcorders with iLink hookups.

I want to transfer the files to Vegas with the standard capture, and then save the media in it's rawest, least processed format. File size is not an issue for the handful of old tapes, but quality for someone to work with later might be.

What format would you recommend I save in- AVI? MOV? MPG? is there a format that is the standard that Sony uses over iLink?

Thanks! Curt.

Comments

John_Cline wrote on 3/15/2011, 1:33 PM
If it's a DV camcorder, then Vegas saves it as a DVC-format .AVI file, which is an exact copy of the video and audio as stored on the camcorder's tape. If it's an HDV camcorder, then Vegas saves it as an HDV-format .M2T file, which again is an exact copy of what's on the tape. Both formats are 25 mbps which is around 12 GB/hour. Both formats are compressed before recorded to tape, but the files Vegas captures are in the "rawest" form and identical to what's on the tapes.
musicvid10 wrote on 3/15/2011, 1:33 PM
Video captured over Firewire (iLink) is DV-AVI, or possibly HDV (doubt it). That's what you should save it as -- in its original format.
Roboburger wrote on 3/24/2011, 1:49 PM
Thanks, guys- that's the info I'm looking for.