Audio codec/problems for .AVI file Movie Studio 13

Soul Man wrote on 11/25/2014, 8:04 PM
Have some files in .avi and the video works (Movie Studio Platinum 13) but the video does not. When I put a file in the timeline, no audio comes with it.

If I open these files in Windows Media Player, I can hear the sound. So I assume I have the Codecs (?) Not sure how to get Movie Studio to recognize the audio.

New computer with i7, Asrock x99 board, all drivers/chipsets updated.

Media info:

General
Complete name : G:\RAW VIDEO\Greg raw video\Dirt Bike\Moab 2014\Moab 2014 b Enduro Loop\Moab 14 Enduro frame (3) SYNCH A.AVI
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 22.7 MiB
Duration : 1mn 0s
Overall bit rate : 3 180 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (MPEG)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 59s 900ms
Bit rate : 3 110 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3:2
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.300
Stream size : 22.2 MiB (98%)
Writing library : Zoran

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Codec ID : 50
Duration : 1mn 0s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 469 KiB (2%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 36 ms (1.08 video frame)

If I click on media info to go to website for codecs, it takes me to: http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/error404.html and the only codecs I can find on there are to purchase (I assume for someone creating audio) and I can't be sure they have the one I need (and again, since the audio plays if I run the clip in Windows Media Player, I don't think a missing codec is my problem).

Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 11/25/2014, 9:23 PM
Demux the audio in AVIDemux and import it separately.
IANANDEE wrote on 11/27/2014, 9:54 AM
Hello Soul Man, You`re not alone I have same problem which has only just started to happen. I am using Movie Studio 9. Have tried all settings in prog. without success. Have removed Studio 9 and re installed still no joy. Been at it 2 days now so getting peeeeed off. Have recorded to D V D then imported to prog. audio still fails to transfer with video, but plays with disc on computer using Windows 7.
Sounds like a question for Technical support. Unless a recent Windows update has caused it to happen, which means a possible system restore.
Would appreciate any info if you resolve issue.
Cheers.
IANANDEE wrote on 12/2/2014, 6:57 AM
Dear soul man.YIPEEEEEEEE! Just had success with video loss of audio in time line.
Google - Movie Studio Zen
Scroll down to - How to Convert Video into Different Codecs
Click on tutorial window to play utube entry.
Very informative and explains all aspects. I have downloaded - Any Video Converter Free, and Apple Quicktime as suggested.
The conversion window gives a long list to convert to.
Scroll right down to Windows which then lists a further selection to try. After trying a few at the start of list. I found success using WMV MOVIE (*.wmv)
Hope this works for you
Best of luck Ian
Soul Man wrote on 12/2/2014, 4:43 PM
Thanks, I may try that but I did send a message to tech support.

I find it hard to believe that the software won't work with one fo the most basic formats. It seems crazy to have to re-format or change the codec. especially since Windows Media Player works fine (plays the audio) so I know my computer/codecs etc are fine it is just a Movie Studio problem :-(
musicvid10 wrote on 12/2/2014, 9:39 PM
AVI with MPEG audio is not "one fo the most basic formats." (sic)
Soul Man wrote on 12/3/2014, 8:03 PM
OK. I guess, as a someone who doesn't work professionally with digital media it seems strange and frustrating to have a video that works perfectly fine in my (free) Windows Media Player, yet a (purchased) program that is designed solely for video editing won't recognize it. I could see if I was trying to import in Word, or Paint Shop.

I was able to demux it with the program you recommended, but I can't say that I'm happy if I have to do that on every single file I put in a project (and then have to group them so they stay together during editing etc.). It would make sense if I had some crazy codec, but once I have the right codec (or whatever) I think my Sony software should recognize it. I don't mind doing a temporary work around but I'd rather the issue be "fixed" in Movie Studio :-(
IANANDEE wrote on 12/5/2014, 5:21 AM
Dear Soul Man, as I have already suggested, watch the info given in Movie Studio Zen, then you will understand why your editing prog wont recognise the codec in your recorded video. There are hundreds of codecs out there for all recordable hardware so Sony cant know which recording hardware you are using.
In the codec converter recommended, all I did was select One file from video recorded to see which codec would do the job. Once found I then selected file again then cntrl ` A` which selects all files in folder. Then in Any Video Converter selected convert file. It took about 4 mins for 1 hrs video files to convert.
Watch the utube info in Movie Studio Zen as previously stated then you will start to ustand problem. Very informative.
IANANDEE
musicvid10 wrote on 12/5/2014, 7:48 AM
Under the Support tab at the top of this page, there is a Product Suggestion link.
IANANDEE wrote on 12/5/2014, 9:47 AM
You would also think my 2yr old Sony video camera would work with a Sony Vegas movie studio prog. But it doesn`t.
Yet my 4yr old Panasonic does.
Sir Pef wrote on 12/6/2014, 4:17 AM
Ditto on Soul Man's comment. Sony Vegas Movie Studio will not recognize any original avi file of mine captured with Fraps or Xbox Elgato or my digital camera , nothing.
BUT
all I do Is simply use FREE Windows Moivie Maker and make another avi file and then give it to Vegas to edit.
I think this is purposly by design by Sony for some stupid idiotic monetary reason. This with all Vegas Studio's from yesterday to today and they refuse to change it.
It is not a codec problem, Sony wants it to be a problem. How can it be a problem when little ol Windows Movie Maker has no problem with avi files.