Audio dropouts during PTT

sdorshan wrote on 2/9/2004, 8:43 AM
I printed a project to my DV camera, but I found that the audio had dropouts every few seconds. (The dropouts were perhaps a tenth of a second each.)

Then I rendered the project to an AVI, which played fine on the computer. I also imported the AVI into a different program (Ulead Video Studio) and printed that to tape with the same dropout problems. The video transfers fine.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Comments

PeterWright wrote on 2/9/2004, 4:43 PM
Yes - I always render to avi and use the Vegas Capture Utility to PTT because I found going straight from timeline can cause random dropouts as you've described.
craftech wrote on 2/9/2004, 6:14 PM
Yes - I always render to avi and use the Vegas Capture Utility to PTT because I found going straight from timeline can cause random dropouts as you've described.
========
One of the many bugs which warrant a free UPDATE and not a NEW VERSION to buy.

John
HPV wrote on 2/10/2004, 12:06 PM
Don't have that problem here, and I'm only running windows ME with 128MB of ram. Have you tweaked windows for NLE performance? If not, go over to videoguys.com and look for the "OS tweak" articles. Sounds like it might be your CD rom checking for a disk.

Craig H.
sdorshan wrote on 2/12/2004, 11:09 AM
Seems like my problem is in the camera, not with Vegas. I had been doing the PTT near the end of a tape, and I was getting the dropouts.

Yesterday, I was playing back a tape I had recorded a year ago, and right near the end, it had the same audio dropouts. The video looked smooth, but the timecode in the display was flashing in and out, and the audio was dropping in and out. It's as if I was losing contact near the edge of the tape.

These were both done at LP speed. I haven't tried SP near the end of the tape yet. Yes, the same camera recorded and played back the tape.

Until I can borrow another camera, I won't know if the dropouts are recorded on the tape, or just happen during playback.
craftech wrote on 2/12/2004, 2:05 PM
They aren't on the tape and much to the dismay of the "blame anyything else but Vegas folks", the problem is clearly one of the many bugs in Vegas which Tech Support hasn't been able to Repro. How could it be anything else when it isn't on the original footage and can disappear sometimes if you render again and does not show up when you stretch out the timeline?

John
berenberen wrote on 2/12/2004, 2:29 PM
Odd, I printed something to tape just today, and had some audio dropouts. I assumed the heads needed cleaning, and promptly ordered a cleaning cassette. Could it have been this issue instead?