Audio Missing in Movie Studio

laynlow wrote on 11/3/2004, 2:12 PM
Hello,

I have just encountered a strange problem. I am starting my second project in VMS, the first was completed without problems. I have four AVI files that were captured from DV tape. When I play the AVI file using Windows Media Player the video and audio are present and look and sound good.

When I open the media in Movie Studio the video is there without audio of any kind. What gives? The video was not captured using MS, and I don't recall what program I used to capture it. Either Sonic or Ulead.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

SonyTSW wrote on 11/4/2004, 8:56 PM
Most likely you don't have the required audio codec that Movie Studio needs to read the file.

What does Windows Media Player (WMP) report for the audio codec for these files? Look at File | Properties to view this after you have loaded a file into WMP. You could search our forums for that codec name or do a Google search to track down where you might obtain the audio codec you need.
laynlow wrote on 11/8/2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. Windows media player only lists "-" after audio codec under properties, and yet the audio is there when played in WMP.

Any other ideas?
SonyTSW wrote on 11/8/2004, 9:11 PM
Check out the following thread in this forum. The 4th post contains a link to avicodec, which according to the description it will identify the codecs you need to play a file. Maybe this will help.

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=329456
ruddyone wrote on 11/10/2004, 12:06 PM
I am having the same problem. Even using avicodec no codec is listed for these files.
Steve Grisetti wrote on 11/11/2004, 8:08 AM
Assuming something isn't kosher (or compatible), the simplest fix may be to open the files in Virtual Dub (a free download, and a very powerful tool) and then choose "Save As" as resave them.

Virtual Dub reads pretty much any video files and then, simply by choosing Save As, converts them into a format that you will likely be able to read and use in MS.

Give it a try and let us know the results.