Audio Synced in Trimmer, Not in Preview

goodtimej wrote on 10/12/2009, 12:02 AM
Hey all. I am using Vegas 9 on a Vista System. 2 - 3 gig quad core proc, an external M-Audio firewire audiocard.

When I preview anything in the trimmer, it looks fine and audio is synced up. As soon as I drop any footage on the timeline, it slowly starts to unsync. With more footage on the timeline, it becomes worse. I have a project I am working on now that has about 3 hours of footage in it that is being cut up. But I can take one piece of footage in that project, put it on its own track and solo the track, within 5 seconds the lips will be unbearably wheeling off track and just getting worse. I have my audio preferences set up as M-Audio FW ASIO and I have just updated this device as I have been having this prob.
This is unbearable! Please help.

Comments

goodtimej wrote on 10/12/2009, 12:15 AM
May I also say that this happens as well when I use Microsoft Sound Mapper as my audio device.
farss wrote on 10/12/2009, 12:51 AM
This exact problem came up only a few days ago.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=677414&Replies=9

I've had this happen as have others. No answer to be found to date. Please report this, the more that complain the better the chance of it being addressed.

Bob.
goodtimej wrote on 10/12/2009, 11:32 AM
Wow, looking at that post it seems like a lot of people are having this problem. Sony?
goodtimej wrote on 10/12/2009, 11:48 PM
I've done a little more troubleshooting now. I have reinstalled 8 and I am getting a syncing problem, but not as bad. In 9, it is just unbearable.

As soon as I grab the little yellow triangle in the bottom left corner that controls playback speed and pull it down to about .75, everything syncs up perfectly in both apps and stays synced.

But, if I take a clip and use ALT,Drag to control the stretch of the clip (i go into audio properties and choose lock to stretch) thus making it slower, the lips still go off sync. Only in Vegas 9, but 8 plays fine slowed down. Aargh!

The audio is totally before the footage meaning that I hear the audio before the lips move, I have figured that much out.

I did just switch to Vista and I didn't have 9 in XP. I don't remember having these probs in XP with Vegas 8. Are you people having probs with Vista or XP? Maybe that is it? Not that I wanna reformat to get this to work correctly......
farss wrote on 10/13/2009, 12:59 AM
No Vista here at all.
I've been working on a project very similar to the one I did have this problem with using V9.0b and it's been fine. The only thing I have changed in the interim is to update the nVidia drivers. That has fixed a number of problems in other apps, might pay to check drivers for updates.
I'd also suggest you try changing the size of the Preview RAM buffer.

The most annoying aspect in my case was playback would start off in sync and then slowly drift out of sync. If the sync error was constant there's an offset control that would have addressed the issue.

Bob.
mark-woollard wrote on 10/13/2009, 9:54 AM
Just updated my nVidia driver. It did not fix the sync problem.

Mark