authoring a DL disc with DVD-A for replication

cbrillow wrote on 12/17/2009, 4:39 PM
I'm about to submit my first dual layer project for replication. The replication house will accept a mastered project burned to a pair of DVD-5s, with each disc representing one of the layers. I've been through the authoring process with DVD-A (5.0b) and successfully burned a correctly-functioning DL on a DVD+DL disc, as well as preparing a master from the same project.

I'm concerned about DVD-A's long-standing 'unreferenced streams' issue that can cause problems with some players, and also that this error may show up in the replication house's audit software and result in my project being rejected.

As I recall, it's possible to fix this error with PgcEdit. To this point, I've not done this, because I've been only making DVDs for myself or for friends/relatives. But I want to touch all the bases for my first "commercial" DVD.

As I understand, PgcEdit works on files in the Video_TS folder, which is fine for DVDs that you burn. But -- when you master a DVD, the data on the disc is like the information that's written to a DLT, not like the contents of a playable DVD.

So my question is twofold:

1) Is this 'unreferenced stream' error created when a disc is mastered in DVD-A?

2) If so, how is it repaired, assuming that PgcEdit can't work on it?

Comments

Former user wrote on 12/18/2009, 8:31 AM
Why not use other burning software to eliminate this concern?

Imageburn is free and does a great job of burning various disks and images.

Dave T2
cbrillow wrote on 12/18/2009, 1:55 PM
This is an authoring issue, not a burning problem.

There used to be a couple of threads that dealt with it, but I can't find them. The search facility only goes back 2 years, and appears to lack entries on this from 2007.

I believe it started when someone found that DVDs created with DVD-A wouldn't play correctly in a very small number of specific players, and I think they were DVD recorders. It was discovered that editing one of the files in the VIDEO_TS folder with PgcEdit found and corrected the errors.

The only recent reference that I could find to this problem was by gjesion, who said that DVD-A was still producing the errors with the release of DVD-A 5.