AVCHD rendering issues

Whitlam wrote on 11/21/2009, 11:28 PM
Hi
Wondering where to go now with Vegas Pro 9. Maybe I need a new workflow or try another programme.

I've had long term unfixable issues with Vegas 9 - reported and no solution found.

With PAL AVCHD files (from a Sony SR-12) I'm unable to use any files that have been rendered through Vegas.

On playback (any media player) or burnt to disc, with 1920 x 1080 files that have been rendered through Vegas, the video becomes slow and jerky, but sound continues on at normal speed.

Files rendered at 1440 x 1080 did not have the issue (until now...) and were perfectly playable.

This has been reported to Sony, and they were able to reproduce the problem. A fix was promised in 9.0c. According to support the fix went through - but the problem still exists. Their repsonse was that Windows Media Player or DVDA need a plugin for the files to playback correctly (????).

Now this issue has spread to 1440 x 1080 since 9.0c went through - any rendered file after 2- 3 minutes playback the video slows but the sound carries on at normal speed.

I've tred it on several machines, same result.

It has been going on for months, I've had enough. According to Sony the issue is "resolved" (because the rendered files work ok within Vegas) - it is just that the rendered files can't be played back or burnt - i.e. totally unusable. (Non rendered un-edited files straight from the camera playback perfectly)

I've got several projects mounting up while I wait for a fix (if there is ever one).

Short of switcing to another programme, I was wondering if I should render files to another format before editing them - and if so which format?

Any other PAL users suffering the same? Over it big time...

(before anyone asks: my system is an i7 950 quad core with 12GB DDR-3 RAM + WD Raptor drives in raid with dual Nvidia 275 GTX graphic cards running Win 7 64 bit)

Comments

Marco. wrote on 11/22/2009, 12:42 AM
I can't tell you a fix but a workaround at least: Remux the rendered AVCHD output using TSMuxer.

Marco
Whitlam wrote on 11/23/2009, 9:04 AM
thanks - will try.
Whitlam wrote on 11/24/2009, 5:24 AM
thanks very much - it actually worked (on 1440 x 1080 at least) and for the 1st time since the release of Vegas 9.0 I've managed to produce (& burn) a watchable video.

At last I can start working my way through several projects that have been on hold.
Doesn't work on 1920 x 1080 video - but I can live with 1440 x 1080.

Nothing from Sony has worked - so once again a big thankyou.
MichiA wrote on 11/24/2009, 11:27 AM
Marco, thank you for your workaround. It works for me with 1920x1080 :-))).

Michael