B&H purchase, Any reccomendations

epirb wrote on 1/24/2005, 4:48 PM
I plan on making a fairly substantial purchase in the near future(new cam,light kit etc.) and was thinking of using B&H. Is there anybody there in particular that somebody would recc I talk to? Or is everyone there pretty good to deal with. I have never bought from them before, but I hear they have a great reputation. I dont mind if I spend at little more money, if the sales experience is good.(although the prices seemed quite good too).
Do they offer package deals if youare buying alot of equipt? Although what I'm spending seems like a fortune to me, it's probably peanuts to them and what many pros spend.
Just looking for advice from people who have delt with them before.

Comments

cervama wrote on 1/24/2005, 4:50 PM
Good reps. We use them when we need them.
John_Cline wrote on 1/24/2005, 5:43 PM
I do a lot of business with B&H and have never had a problem of any kind.

John
DGrob wrote on 1/24/2005, 6:21 PM
My purchases with them have been flawless to date. Darryl
Spot|DSE wrote on 1/24/2005, 6:53 PM
Nothin but good here, either.
Ask for Kendall or Joshua when you call, mention VASST, it might help you a bit, depending on what's going on. We're doing a monster Audio for Video seminar at B&H on March 7, 2005, and those two have been really great with us.
DGates wrote on 1/24/2005, 7:01 PM
I always order online, so I don't know a particular rep. I've found it's just easier to order online.
Opampman wrote on 1/24/2005, 7:16 PM
Been buying from them for years. Never a problem. Our company outfitted a whole studio with SONY gear from them
epirb wrote on 1/24/2005, 7:20 PM
Thanks Guys, anybody have opinions on the Mack extended wty they sell, or am I better off with a mfg extend wty(Sony).?
BillyBoy wrote on 1/24/2005, 8:33 PM
The only thing I don't like about B&H is they always seem to inflate the shipping costs compared to some other web merchants.
richard-courtney wrote on 1/24/2005, 8:41 PM
Good service. Love the catalog books you get. 1" catalog on professional
lighting for example.

Website might be hard to find everything you need but phone help
is always great.
JackW wrote on 1/24/2005, 9:14 PM
We have dealt with them several times in the past few years, as recently as December 2004 for a new tripod and head. We've always found them to be knowledgeable and helpful and honest in their dealings.

The one caution is this: they have a 15 day return policy and can be VERY difficult to deal with if you try to extend this. Be sure when you order that you have a firm date as to when the 15 days is up.
Barry_Green wrote on 1/24/2005, 10:59 PM
I've bought tons of gear from B&H, and it's always gone flawlessly. Don't have a rep name though, I always ordered over the web.

Recently I've been dealing with EVSOnline.com. They provide extremely great service, and I'm actually dealing with a human (Rush) instead of a computer... but the other thing is, I'm mostly-west-coast, and EVS is west-coast, so shipping is much quicker and usually cheaper than from B&H.

I think B&H is a superb dealer, and can heartily recommend them. They have the best website in the world for online ordering.
Jay_Mitchell wrote on 1/24/2005, 11:05 PM
I have purchased many items from B&H over the years. They have been great to deal with - - even when things - - go wrong.

For Example: Last year I purchased a New JVC Production Monitor from B&H. When the Box arrived - - I could tell right away that it had been previously opened and resealed. When I opened the Box - - it was missing the original packing styrofoam and replaced with scraps of styrofoam. And, the monitor itself had finger prints on the glass.

So, without even turning it on - - I phoned B&H and described the manner in which the Monitor was received. Within minutes I had an RMA and Shipped the Monitor back on the same day. Within days - - I received a Brand New and Never Opened Factory Packed Box.

They blamed it on the Shipping Department for having sent a Pre-sold or Floor Model.

Although, I love everything about B&H - - and Would Buy from them Again - -and, give my positive recommendation to others. You should Always Insist Upon a New Factory Sealed Box of the Items that You are Purchasing!

Get to know your Salesman by Name - And get his Guarantee of New in Sealed Box.

Hope this helps,

Jay Mitchell
MichaelS wrote on 1/24/2005, 11:06 PM
Be aware that as you make plans to order, they close for days at a time for certain religeous holidays...as do many businesses. We had to purchase elsewhere once when we needed something in a rush. Otherwise, years of great products and service.
craftech wrote on 1/25/2005, 5:24 AM
My experiences with B&H have been good, but I would rather go there to pick up the merchandise. Despite the fact that I live less than 25 miles from there it can take a week to receive the merchandise because they sit on it for a number of days before it goes out.
They are my first choice if I have to pick something up, but not my first choice if I have to mail order something and I need it right away. I think what makes B&H stand out is that they are something of an enigma in NYC in that the vast majority of camera/electronics stores have always been very dishonest. They have all remained in business for so many years because they advertise phony low prices, engage in box striptease, fraudulent credit card practices, non-existant return policies, inflated shipping charges, etc, etc.; but no one really gets after them. So on and on it goes. The internet has been a blessing to the lot of them providing more opportunities for dishonesty than magazine mail order did before that.
Because B&H does not do the above for the most part they "stand out" because of their location. One can certainly get treated like a human being elsewhere in the country because the people are generally different toward one another than they are in NYC and being generally honest and friendly is part of what is expected of them. The "schtick" you get when dealing with NYC folk is part of their upbringing as well. They consider that part of "good business".
So the bottom line is that B&H has a huge inventory, is generally honest, charges more than they should for shipping, doesn't ship right away, has a liberal return policy (but a very limited time window.....as most do), and generally doesn't get too much into "schtick".

John
boomhower wrote on 1/25/2005, 8:10 AM
Have not used B&H but hear great things about them...

I can second what Barry said about EVS. I used them recently and was extremely pleased with the service they provided. They went above and beyond in the way they dealt with my particular purchase. Without going into all the details I'll simply say that based on my recent treatment, I'll look at them first from now on.....

That being said, it would be hard to go wrong with either one.
JJKizak wrote on 1/25/2005, 8:25 AM
When I go to buy anything expensive I go to B & H as they have the product in stock at a decent price without any gimicks. I know exactly what I am getting. I plan to get the new Sony HDV camera from them very shortly.

JJK
DigVid wrote on 1/25/2005, 11:02 AM
As with others, I too have been buying video equipment from B&H for years. If I buy online they usually ship that day or the next. I live in Ohio and so I can count on it getting here in about 2 days. They have always been easy to deal with even on returns (from my experience) too. Highly recommended for serious media equipment purchases.

- Howard
BrianStanding wrote on 1/25/2005, 1:05 PM
I've used B&H and they are very, very good.

One word of caution, though. Be sure whatever you order is in stock at the time you order. B&H has a long-standing policy that they will charge your credit card IMMEDIATELY for any items on back-order. In some case that can take months.

Other than that, they're great.
Jimmy_W wrote on 1/25/2005, 1:28 PM
Thumbs up, only one I completly trust.

Jimmy
JohnGG wrote on 1/25/2005, 2:08 PM
I have bought all my gear from B&H over 14 years and think they are the best. Helpful advice, lots of information, good prices, returns no problem, will buy back used gear, outstanding catalogues make excellant reference library - what more can you ask for?
JohnGG wrote on 6/2/2005, 11:44 AM
I have delt with them for about 14 years and think they are the best. They are very helpful with info on their products and produce wonderful catalogues that make superb reference books and they will buy cameras back after several years of use.
I have spent around $50K with them.
Cheesehole wrote on 6/2/2005, 1:19 PM
Thanks Guys, anybody have opinions on the Mack extended wty they sell, or am I better off with a mfg extend wty(Sony).?

I have found Mack to be unresponsive in general. I would not do business with them again, but I don't have an alternative to suggest.
bjtap wrote on 6/2/2005, 3:33 PM
B&H yes. Mack, no. Just had a repair refused because they claimed I forced the firewire cable into the camcorder. (Still like to know how that can be done to cause internal damage.)
Barry
Harold Brown wrote on 6/2/2005, 4:03 PM
I have bought from them 3 different times and was very happy with product and speed of delivery. Will be buying again.