Best DVD Rip software to edit in Vegas

Denicio wrote on 7/26/2013, 3:38 PM
Hey gang. I KNOW this is a controversial subject. I have a presentation coming up for my day job (I am a headhunter in engineering). I simply need to grab a few seconds from a couple of movies as part of my free presentation/entertainment. This is NOT for financial gain. (I buy ALL my audio and video software as well as my movies).

Do any of you know of good and reliable software out there that will let me rip clips from a DVD (or the whole thing) in a format that allows me to edit it in my Vegas Pro software?
Any guidance on this will be helpful.

Dennis

Comments

MTuggy wrote on 7/26/2013, 4:07 PM
Check your email account - message sent.

MT
robwood wrote on 7/26/2013, 4:08 PM
I KNOW this is a controversial subject. - Dennis A Cupp

I guess I don't see the controversy... anyway;

DVD Shrink isn't as reliable as when it came out (copy protections for DVD have come out since Shrink stopped getting updates), but it's still good at what it does and handles most DVD's no problem.

The version you want is v3.2.0.15, here's the link

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm

Avoid other versions of DVD-Shrink (Shrink2009, Shrink2010, etc): they're filled with bloat and are basically malware...

EDIT
...and don't let anyone tell you a video editor doesn't need to rip DVD's & BD's! :)
Grazie wrote on 7/26/2013, 4:20 PM
Vegas allows everybody to import from a DVD.

G

wwjd wrote on 7/26/2013, 4:39 PM
grazie, it does? How you do that? DVD strait into vegas?

I used to use dvdsmith dot com
Tom Pauncz wrote on 7/26/2013, 4:46 PM
From the File drop-down, Import -> DVD Camcorder disc, I believe.
Tom
riredale wrote on 7/26/2013, 5:19 PM
For conventional encryption, DVDshrink3.2 is very easy to use and does an excellent job quality-wise.

For recent commercial fare, DVDfab is often needed. The encoders have found many ways to exploit the numerous quirks of DVDs over the years such that the conventional PC decrypters fail. But a product called DVDfab usually finds out how to decrypt anyway. The encrypters that Disney uses seem to be on the leading edge of this process. They bring out a new release that can't be cracked by any method. Then a week later DVDfab issues a new version of its utility such as 8.2.2.8 (up from 8.2.2.7 a month earlier!) that handles the new release without difficulty.

I'm not promoting breaking encryption here, I'm just stating the facts as a curious observer.
willqen wrote on 7/26/2013, 5:48 PM
DVDFab also has free DVD Decrypter and PassKey Lite.

Check them out here: http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-decrypter.htm

Just to let you know ....
wwjd wrote on 7/26/2013, 6:26 PM
didn't find an import in VP12.
for learnin', just did a dvdsmith to VOBs, those opened okay but skipping ahead, audio sync started getting way off. but the vob played fine in VLC. probably an easy fix. I had not adjusted any framerates or anything
Denicio wrote on 7/26/2013, 6:47 PM
Tom, I tried this and vegas went thru the motions of importing but when I opened the folder that it created all the file sizes were Zero. So I got 50 files of nada.
Any thought on what I did wrong or what I am missing?

Thanks
rs170a wrote on 7/26/2013, 7:55 PM
Vegas will only import non commercial DVDs. Anything that is encrypted/protected will not work.

Mike
fldave wrote on 7/26/2013, 9:07 PM
I have found most highlights of movies on Youtube, lol.
fldave wrote on 7/26/2013, 9:08 PM
Dennis, the import takes a long time. Give it an overnight if you have to, mine seem to take forever.