Bit Rate

rayrayjay wrote on 7/8/2019, 9:56 AM

Hey guys, I rarely post because with only one exception, I have always been able to find my answer on these boards.

My Bluray disc is freezing at the same point every time, or close to it.

I used Vegas to render a project in AVC, I set the max bit rate at 40mbps, the average at something like 30. ( I did this after I was originally setting it EVEN HIGHER, but figured since DVD Architect could only max out at 40, anything after that was lossy.)

Then I set the bit rate on DVD architect to the same specs-still freezes at same spot

Then I used better quality blank discs-Still freezes at same spot.

Then I lowered the bit rate on DVDA to 35 mbps-Freezes at same spot.

Then I lowered it to 30mbps, and the freeze happens later in the film.

2 questions. What is happening? Can this be fixed? And two, if I lower the bit rate to 25mbps, would I be better off at 40mbps in MPEG2. Because MPEG2 works at 40mbps, but its a noticable step down in quality. Is MPEG2 at 40mbps > , = , < AVC at 25mbps?

Just thought of this? Could it be the layer flip? I am using the 50GB blurays, and when I lowered it to 30Mbps, the software tells you about how much of the disc you are using, and using that as a reference, they "sorta coincide?" I guess?

Comments

Dot wrote on 7/8/2019, 2:09 PM

How long does the freeze last? It could be the layer change which is dependent upon the player. My bluray player is very smooth over layer changes. I guess it buffers. 40mbps is too high for a Bluray. You should max around 35mbps, but if your freeze moved when lowered bitrate, especially since it became later, that sounds like the layer change. Try it on a different player.

rayrayjay wrote on 7/8/2019, 7:32 PM

I have tried it on a Sony Player and a PS4. Same spot both times. The freeze time is about 90 seconds.

rayrayjay wrote on 7/8/2019, 7:47 PM

I'm really upset-disappointed. I have been working on this particular problem every weekend for a couple months. Finished my edited product, MONTHS ago. I now have the bit rate set at 25mbps on DVDA, and I have now moved the freeze spot back even further. It lasts about 2 minutes and when its finished, it jumps to the end of the film...about 12 minutes further. I'm getting sold on the layer flip possibility. But if thats the case why dosent the layer flip problem occur when I use mpeg2 and get all the way up to like 42 of 50 GB? And what do I do about it?

Dot wrote on 7/8/2019, 8:27 PM

90 seconds is a long time. That does not sound like a layer flip, unless your burned disk is not right. Could be a bad burner or bad quality disks. I don't burn dual layer because they are iffy.

nepomuk wrote on 7/9/2019, 3:51 AM

….... 40mbps is too high for a Bluray. You should max around 35mbps, …..

Why? 40Mbps for video is fully Blu-ray compliant, level 4.1.

But it appears indeed that DVDA does not accept the 40Mbps (my own experience). In another thread/post it was mentioned that one should go just slightly below the 40, say 39.999 in order to satisfy DVDA …..