bizarre behavior in V5

pb wrote on 5/10/2004, 10:23 PM
Anyone else experienced these:

1) unreliable captures (had to revert to V4)

2) very jerky playback, even after pre-rendering

3) endless crashes using pan and crop with only 30 stills (reverted to V4)

#3 may be attibutable to using Vegas on a box custom made for Mtrox RT X100/Premiere Pro BUT V4 worked flawlessly with the same images and music tracks, outputting the timeline image to an external monitor via a DSR 45.

Weird. I wonder if somehow the Network Render feature could be casuing the #3 crashes.

Machine is a P4 2.8 with a grossly overpriced Matrox video card, 2 gigs of RAM and a Creative labs Audigy. No network connection. SCSI drives. I get #1 jerky playback on 1 P4 2.8 with 1 gig RAM outputting to a DHR 1000 and, at work, on a P4 1.7 with a gig of RAM and best grapics/audio boards available as of December 2001. Media drives on work PC are also all SCSI.

Peter

Comments

Firetoad wrote on 5/11/2004, 6:12 AM
I get jerky playback if my timeline has to reposition when playing a video. That is, when it moves the timeline, I get stuttering. Sometimes it is a single stutter and other times it continues for a little while but eventually cleans itself up. As far as the other probs, haven't come across that yet.
JJKizak wrote on 5/11/2004, 6:27 AM
No, but if I try to render 5.1 without having an LFE track V5 will dump
itself. Happened once but it might have been a temporal anamoly.

JJK
Jay Gladwell wrote on 5/11/2004, 6:28 AM
No problems here... so far. ;o)

J--
SonyEPM wrote on 5/11/2004, 7:12 AM
1) unreliable captures (had to revert to V4)

2) very jerky playback, even after pre-rendering

Are your V5 captures and prerenders going to the fast drives? Sondsl like they maybe aren't.

3) endless crashes using pan and crop with only 30 stills (reverted to V4)

Haven't seen this. Could you send a veg file for this project (dr.dropoutATsonypictures.com)
jwall wrote on 5/11/2004, 1:37 PM
I've had the same thing happen---crashing with about 45 stills on the timeline, they're .tff files, around 1.2MB a piece, if I remember correctly. It didn't just crash Vegas, though, my whole system crashed and I found myself at my startup screen. After Windows loaded again, I sent the error report, and they said it was a driver conflict that made it crash.

Jon
jetdv wrote on 5/11/2004, 1:58 PM
they're .tff files, around 1.2MB a piece

What version of Quicktime are you using and did you install EVERYTHING - especially the authoring tools? What if you used PNG instead?
jwall wrote on 5/11/2004, 6:13 PM
I'll convert the files tonight. I'm not sure if I installed EVERYTHING...I'll go back and look at the CD's now, make sure I installed all of the authoring tools. THANKS a whole lot for the response.....I really enjoy your newsletter, too.

Jon
SonyTSW wrote on 5/11/2004, 10:00 PM
Also if you have Photoshop installed, it has an associated file that is known to cause problems with thumbnails and possibly cause your applications to crash:

Crashing in the Media Pool view.
Lajko wrote on 5/11/2004, 11:33 PM
I have now found that BMP images crash vv5 whenever I try to re-open a project with BMP's. That explains why some of my vv4 projects crash vv5 when opening them. If you are using BMP images, maybe that could also be your problem.
jwall wrote on 5/12/2004, 7:28 AM
I converted all of my tiff files into PNGs, and the sequence opens immediately, and no crashing takes place. I've also been able to do sequences of bitmaps (4-5mb), and never had a crash. I did a really big project in vv4 w/bitmaps, and never had a problem. I'm convinced it has something to do with the way Vegas interfaces with the tiff files. I did have quicktime 6.1 installed. One interesting thing to note: my paging file (observed with task manager), would constantly get higher and higher until it reached 699 mb, then reset to 190...only to build back up again. It was set at 768-768, and I changed it to 1024-1024, but it still wouldn't climb past 700 or so. But, the problem disappeared when I changed the format to PNG files.

Jon

Thanks Edward for the advice :)