Blackmagic support

LongJohn wrote on 9/28/2016, 10:09 AM

Hi all,

Only just spotted the surprise VEGAS 14 Pro update, so hurrah! Downloaded the trial but not had time to get my head around the update yet. I am a long-time user, but here's my opening question:

What exactly does "Blackmagic camera support mean" in terms of this update? Can it process RAW files or just the lightly compressed ProRes and DNxHD. (Frankly latitude of these files is so good that I've pretty well given up the faff of processing the RAW files, but if someone out there knows where the edges are on this, a quick heads-up would be appreciated.)

Whilst I'm not seeing anything that especially 'blows my skirt up' on this update, I'm deeply grateful it's still a live and developing product. I've been forced to do a load of editing in PremierePro recently by a customer, and I hate it with a passion! VEGAS is just so much more comfoatble and quick to edit in and doesn't crash all the time Adobe!

BTW: 'Update deadline' for current users seems to be differnet on some portals, it was yesterday (27/09/16) according to first one that popped up on my system. Some consistency and backing off on the frantic sales pitch would be appreciated by the community... we're on your side!

Comments

Serena Steuart wrote on 9/29/2016, 12:12 AM

Referring to the update notes the updates for BM appear to be limited to display hardware.

Updated support for current BlackMagic Design hardware:

DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G, 4K Pro, 4K Extreme, Studio 4K, SDI 4K, HD Extreme, Extreme 3D, Mini Monitor, and Mini Recorder.

Intensity Shuttle, Pro 4K, and Pro.

UltraStudio 4K Extreme, 4K, Pro, SDI, Express, Mini Monitor, and Mini Recorder.

This doesn't mention processing BM camera files and I see another poster is having trouble with ProRes files. The Magix publicity mentioned new capability to read ProRes 422 so I wouldn't expect ProRes HQ and certainly not RAW. If you are sourcing on BM cameras I would use DaVinci Resolve to at least apply a LUT and you might then output in Cineform to take files back into Vegas (assuming it still works with Cineform codecs).

LongJohn wrote on 9/29/2016, 3:20 AM

Thanks for taking time to reply Serena. My mistake assuming it was camera rather peripheral hardware support. I've used DNxHD footgae directly into VEGAS in the  past and this works fine. Frankly our tests can't see the differnece between DNxHD and ProRes in any case. The Resolve-RAW workflow is fine when you really need it. For short slugs of technical media that need very wide gamut we often just set a conversion in Adobe RAW and run a batch - a bit slow but resuts are good.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/29/2016, 6:16 AM

Yes we talk about videocards here - and there the UHD/4K preview was added in VP14.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo