Blu-Ray on DVD

goshep wrote on 1/14/2010, 10:56 AM
Hi all,

Please refresh my memory. I know a standard DVD will accept a Blu-Ray image but can a standard DVD be used as a 30 minute substitue in a Blu-Ray burner? Or more simply, will a standard red laser DVD accept a blu laser making it recognizable as a Blu-Ray disc?

As far as the Blu-Ray image is concerned, will that be recognized by a blu-ray player? Currently I play them on a Playstation 3 by navigating to the image.

Thanks (edited for spelling and pointless rambling)

Comments

Sebaz wrote on 1/14/2010, 12:20 PM
You can always put a BD structure in a DVD disc, both single and dual layer, as long as you burn it in UDF 2.50 or 2.60, for which ImgBurn is the best choice, because it works great and it's free.

However, I read that not all blu-ray players will take these pseudo blu-ray discs. Basically they can be called BD5 (single layer), BD9 (dual layer) when they have a proper blu-ray folder and file structure, or AVCHD DVDs, which have a structure that is very similar. In my Sony blu-ray player both types play just fine. I can output to a blu-ray folder from Adobe Encore (for projects when DVD Architect gets picky and wants to recompress the media) and then throw the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders into ImgBurn in UDF 2.50 and burn to either a single or dual layer DVD, depending on the size, and they will play fine. I can also grab the similar structure from my AVCHD camcorder and throw it in ImgBurn and the result will play. However, the player always recognizes anything that has been burned to regular DVD media as AVCHD DVD, even if it was with a proper blu-ray folder and file structure. Since it plays fine, it doesn't matter to me.

One very important thing you have to keep in mind for this type of project is to encode the footage to a maximum of 20 Mbps, because at least in my blu-ray player, any footage over 20 Mbps that is on standard DVD media will choke. Since Mpeg-2 at that bitrate doesn't produce good quality, you might want to look into Debugmode Frameserver along with Avisynth and MeGUI to encode to x.264, which will take much longer but will produce decent HD video at 20 Mbps.
goshep wrote on 1/14/2010, 12:27 PM
Holy cow that was a mouthful. Gonna take me a while to digest all that. Thanks Sebaz.