Border with Linear Wipe?

miketruly wrote on 2/7/2004, 3:18 PM
I am a new Vegas user. I am trying to do a simple linear wipe with a colored border. I've looked through the transitions and found Linear Wipe but there is no colored border option.

I have almost achieved what I want by using the Page Curl with a very tight curl. The only problem is since the curl is shaded (has dark sides) even if you set your color to something like pure white at best you get a gray border.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something or should I head to the wishlist?

Thanks!

Mike

Comments

GaryKleiner wrote on 2/7/2004, 3:40 PM
>. I've looked through the transitions and found Linear Wipe but there is no colored border option.<

Hey, you're right. I guess I never need one, so never noticed this.

You COULD fake one by adding a track and animating a line that travels where you need it during a regular linear transition.

Gary
jeremyk wrote on 2/7/2004, 3:57 PM
You could use a rectangular Cookie Cutter with a border.
miketruly wrote on 2/7/2004, 3:57 PM
Gary,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll add this to the wishlist.

I'm currently feeling my way through Vegas and I'm not sure where/how I would animate a line. (haven't got that far yet). Can you tell me where to look for setting up something like this? I haven't yet seen a shape drawing area of the program.

Thanks!

Mike
miketruly wrote on 2/7/2004, 3:59 PM
Jeremy,

Thanks for the idea. I don't see 'Cookie Cutter', is this a transition type?

Thanks!

Mike
miketruly wrote on 2/7/2004, 4:02 PM
Jeremy,

Nevermind. I found Cookie Cutter, I'll look into this as well.

Thanks!

Mike
GaryKleiner wrote on 2/7/2004, 4:46 PM
>I'm not sure where/how I would animate a line. <

It could be created in a program like photoshop, or you could create one in Vegas by starting with a Solid Color from the media generator, then shaped using Pan/Crop, then animated using keyframes.

Gary
miketruly wrote on 2/9/2004, 8:08 AM
Thanks for the ideas Gary. Thought there might be a hidden part of the app for simple shapes, etc.

Thanks!

Mike
Chienworks wrote on 2/9/2004, 10:11 AM
How's this? http://www.vegasusers.com/vegshare/textdisp?chienworks-colored-wipe

I used a color gradient from the generated media tab to produce the red line. I set the other areas to an alpha of 0 (transparent). I'm sure you could easily make the line wider, narrower, softer, harder, etc. Track Motion with keyframes was used to move the line across the screen in sync with the transition. Total time to put this together was probably less than 30 seconds.
miketruly wrote on 2/9/2004, 1:53 PM
Thanks! This should work and now I have more things to learn.

Thanks again.

Mike