bug? - 3d parenting

Andrew B wrote on 1/20/2009, 11:52 AM
OK, it is really an issue with 3D compositing, but I liked the subject.

I am trying to move multiple tracks together in 3D space. I downloaded a wonderful sample of this (not sure from where) that has 2 child tracks both responsing to the track motion of a parent track.
the sample works perfectly on my system, but if I try to recreate the process in my project, it does not work correctly.

Although all track variables are identical, something is definitely wrong. On the working sample, the parent track's keyframe track is labled 'Parent Transform' while in my project (non-functional) it shows as just 'transform'.

Also, when I go into the working parent's track motion options, it shows a 3D cube that I can manipulate. The non-working parent shows the standard 3D tracking tool (looks like a flat-panel TV that you can move in 3D space).

Have anyone else run into this? I thought I remember reading about 3D compositing issues in Vegas, but I could not find anything by searching the forums.

...and don't EVEN think about searching the web for "How to get a non-working parent to start working"

Comments

FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/20/2009, 12:03 PM
3D has to be set to 3D on every track at the track level and on the parent track on the parent setting on the left hand side and the track level.

Dave
Andrew B wrote on 1/20/2009, 1:10 PM
check.

I set all compositing modes to 3d AND I also made sure to set the parent composite mode (on the parent track just below the level...

OH WAIT!

OK, I just now saw the 'parent motion' icon!

I'm sure this is in the documentation somewhere, but the icons look exactly the same. I was using the 'track motion' not the 'parent motion' to adjust the track. Parent motion icon appears in line with the 'level' slider onm the left side. Not the most intuitive, but I guess it had to go somewhere.

Good icons cost money to develop, so Sony decided to just use the same one for 2 different things...
:)
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/20/2009, 3:40 PM
Technically I'd say they're not two different things, they're the same thing at two different control levels.

But I could see where some additional distinction could be helpful (I always thought it should go above the track myself.

Dave
TheHappyFriar wrote on 1/20/2009, 6:25 PM
the reason the parent motion & track motion icons look identical is because they do the same thing: control the motion. To do 3D you need to change the composite mode. They both do the exact same thing, one is just shown & used if you parent one track to another.

you'll notice too all the parent stuff is to the left of the tracks while the track stuff is in the track header.

do a search in the online help for "parent motion" & it will pop up some usefull info on it.

Also worth noting ANY parent can have parent motion/compositing, so you can have many levels of 3d motion. :)
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 1/20/2009, 9:44 PM
I regularly put double parent motion to simulate an "arm" on the virtual camera.
TeetimeNC wrote on 1/27/2009, 8:14 AM
Frigid, why didn't I think of that? Simple and elegant solution for complex "camera" movements. Thanks for posting!

Jerry

I regularly put double parent motion to simulate an "arm" on the virtual camera