Build 453 is a Wonderful Improvement

ZachAtk1 wrote on 6/15/2015, 10:26 AM
I've been a Vegas user for some time now and have always read these forums. I don't normally post here but I am very happy with the latest build that I had to share!

As noted in the release notes for build 453, MP4 GoPro file playback was improved. I tested this and it plays back as smooth as butter. Awesome!

This cuts out hours upon hours of encoding GoPro footage to a .avi format just to be able to play it back smoothly and edit in Vegas. It also saves an incredible amount of hard drive space as my .avi files were upwards of 500GB each week (5-8 hours of footage to be encoded/edited weekly becomes challenging).

I would just like to thank the developers of Vegas for their hard work. I've been looking for this support for a long time now and was starting to get very discouraged with Vegas Pro. My faith in Sony has been restored!

Comments

dxdy wrote on 6/15/2015, 1:02 PM
+1
NormanPCN wrote on 6/15/2015, 1:12 PM
It is very nice the GoPro performance thing seems to be resolved but it is hard to forget the 2.5 years Vegas has had the issue (since release of Vegas 12).

Luckily there were workarounds. For my part it was smart proxy when using 60p footage.
Peter100 wrote on 6/15/2015, 2:48 PM
Also DJI Inspire 1 drone footage playback has improved. 4k plays almost smoothly - about 20 fps form 25p raw footage.
PeteM wrote on 6/16/2015, 12:16 AM
INDEED!!
Also for those us who adopted the Sony PRW-X70 XDCAM camcorders, can now finally use the XAVC rushes without having to transcode for editing in Vegas :)
ushere wrote on 6/16/2015, 1:32 AM
at the risk of sounding grumpy (which i am)...

why, after all this time (and considerable noise hereabouts) is there no improvement, update, whatever to gpu!?

i LOVE vegas, but it's sad that we seem to have reached an impasse with what was once touted as 'the' cutting edge technology.

i'd be just as happy for scs to take it out completely rather than have the endless problems it's caused.
OldSmoke wrote on 6/16/2015, 7:43 AM
usher

There is no problem with GPU as long as you have the right hardware and I would miss it very much if I would have to give it up. The main issue is Nvidia's poor implementation of OpenCL and focus on their proprietary CUDA technology. I made the switch to AMD just for Vegas and I am glad I did.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

jwcarney wrote on 6/16/2015, 8:19 AM
The latest version of OpenCL just got formalized (no more beta) a few months ago. Give them some time to integrate it.
Gene Aum wrote on 6/17/2015, 3:59 PM
Re X70 import, the Device Explorer doesn't see the xavc SD card files, so I now have to use File/Import/Media and choose the file in xroot. Also, preprocessing takes quite a bit longer than an AVC file.

WRT rendering: I need the progressive.download feature in the Main.Concept .mp4 choices. However, the renders appear to be 4:2:0. When I render using a Sony codec I can get 4:2:2, but there isn't the checkbox for progressive download.

Isn't there a render config for Main Concept to retain the benefits of xavc?

Steve
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 6/17/2015, 5:08 PM
Nothing is wrong with Vegas's GPU implementation, its the different, diverse mix and
conflicting drivers of some of these GPU Cards on the market, there is where the
confusing mess lies, not Vegas.
Can't one Vegas thread remain positive without starting the negative bashing? :-(
winrockpost wrote on 6/17/2015, 6:45 PM
the problem is they do not give a list of what gpu card/driver works....not negative just sayin

"Working with OpenCL™ -supported devices from AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel, Vegas Pro 13 leverages GPU acceleration for video FX, "

maybe I am wrong, but I have never seen a list from sony of what works....I don't bother with it,,,,fast enough for me without
OldSmoke wrote on 6/17/2015, 7:53 PM
From the release notes:

Supported NVIDIA, AMD/ATI, or Intel GPU with at least 512 MB of memory (for GPU-accelerated AVC rendering and video processing; 1 GB recommended for 4K):
NVIDIA

Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later.
GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 297.03 or later).
Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 297.03 or later).
NVIDIA recommends NVIDIA Quadro for professional applications and recommends use of the latest boards based on the

Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required. Radeon HD 7xxx or higher recommended for native 4K editing.

Intel

Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU (such as HD Graphics 4000 or higher).

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

ushere wrote on 6/18/2015, 2:46 AM
Can't one Vegas thread remain positive without starting the negative bashing? :-(

whilst i appreciate the sentiment you would have us simply praise without pointing out faults?
it would make the forum read like a political party manifesto where nothing is wrong and the future assuredly rosy...
it should be enough that i still use (and prefer) vegas over the competition to qualify my remarks - and from others regarding outstanding bugs that haven't been fixed in a long time.

yes, vegas is great, but it's not perfect and those imperfections should be pointed out with regularity in the hope they are attended to.

GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 297.03 or later).

well that's pretty vague and meaningless (and well out of date).

i have no argument with your outstanding advice re 580 and now r9 oldsmoke. i truly believe that you do get what's promised with your choice of hardware - but that choice is both expensive and limited. whilst i realize nvidia is devoted to chasing the gamers, surely scs could revise their implementation of gpu so as to at least move on from obsolete video cards.

i am waiting for amd's new gen of stacked ram cards - smaller and much less power hungry...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2936630/amd-reveals-hbm-powered-radeon-fury-graphics-cards-new-r300-series-gpus.html

i shall not be a first adopter (too old for all that c*ap), but i will be eager and ready to spend if they deliver what they promise...
OldSmoke wrote on 6/18/2015, 4:33 AM
but that choice is both expensive and limited

That is a very strange statement. You asked for a list of GPUs from SCS but you don't like the list to be limited? Now that doesn't quite work. How would SCS make a list that is not limiting? It is also difficult to make a list since models change and different manufacturer have different names too, would be a very long list that is constantly changing.

surely scs could revise their implementation of gpu so as to at least move on from obsolete video cards.

Actually I don't think it can because Nivida's cards have changed dramatically since Fermi and where never good with OpenCL.

By the way, the bold and underlined portion in my post is the important one. This all might be out of date in terms of technology but it is still true for Vegas Pro 13.

System Spec.:

Paul Fierlinger wrote on 6/18/2015, 5:49 AM
This is an amazing discovery for me! I have an AMD Fire-Pro V7900 so after reading OldSmoke's post I turned on the GPU in all places and it truly works as expected of it. Absolutely smooth playback of 1080p AVI files, even with full screen set to external preview monitor, and faster and more importantly for me, cooler Mp4 rendering. Whereas previously rendering would raise the temp to 80 it now renders faster and stays under 60. What a wonderful surprise! My projects now load twice as fast -- at least.
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 6/18/2015, 5:51 AM
Ushere,
tsk, yet you still fail to understand the point!
Then again, i knew that would be your response.
BruceUSA wrote on 6/18/2015, 11:10 AM
Ushere has always insisted that Vegas Pro GPU don't work and called for the elimination of it. But seriously, you don't know what you are missing out in that regards. GPU Acceleration is a wonderful thing can happens in a NLE. You just needs to learn how to adapt your hardware. GPU rendering is a bonus and timeline performance is every body wants. Playing back edited footages on the timeline smooth with FX applied. ONLY with gpu acceleration can delivered.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

NormanPCN wrote on 6/18/2015, 11:45 AM
" surely scs could revise their implementation of gpu so as to at least move on from obsolete video cards."

Vegas uses OpenCL and OpenCL code really does not care about what GPU is underneath it. That is the whole idea of creating abstraction layers. One can write code to do such silly things like hard coding to some architecture, like Mainconcept AVC, but the Vegas video engine does not seem to do that.

Generic OpenCL code can and should run on the weakest GPU to the most powerful. SCS does spec what minimum AND/Nvidia driver version you need to support the OpenCL version they use. If SCS sticks to the same OpenCL version, then stating something like Nvidia driver 297.03 and later is sufficient.

Beyond that, the GPU problems are really due to bugs in Vegas and/or the driver. SCS has not been terribly responsive fixing bugs in their code, we all know that, and SCS has no control over the drivers. I have come across plenty of GPU bugs and who is to say what the problem source is. SCS or driver.