Burning Error: IOCTL

Marcelt1 wrote on 5/31/2006, 3:34 PM
I’m new to video editing and to Movie Studio + DVD. I have the latest updates for both software products. I used VMS to prepare my video. Rendered my project in VMS and VMS dropped my project in DVDA. DVDA prepared the project. When the burning process started the following error message appeared: “The command failed due to a IOCTL error. Your interface or drive may be configured incorrectly”
Following are the details of the error:
‘SFMMCX’-(17)
‘atapi’-(1)
‘PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A v1.09
Module sfmmcx.cpp Line 1805

Command:2a00 00 00 00 20 00 00 20 00
Sense: 02 04 08
Info: 00 00 00 00
Specific: 00 00 00
I downloaded the latest update for my Plextor PX-716A and repeated the process. I got the same error.
I’m using Sony DVD-R. I certainly will appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks.

Comments

mamadod wrote on 6/1/2006, 5:26 AM
I don't recall what the error said, but I had to use DVD+R to burn. Don't know if that is your problem or not. DVD-R wouldn't play except a series of clicks.
soaringrocks wrote on 6/1/2006, 11:06 AM
An IO Control (pronounced eye-octal) is likely a driver error from your DVD burner. If you've updated your drivers you can try another media type or try to borrow an external USB drive that uses a different vendor drive and see if the same problem happens again.

If it works with a different device you'll have to see if your manufacturer can help . If it still fails try looking for help in the Microsoft Knowledge base (to see if there is a windows patch) or hunt around on the web for a solution.

Good luck
bStro wrote on 6/2/2006, 6:37 AM
There are some suggestions for this kind of error in this thread.

Rob
TioP wrote on 4/29/2017, 5:21 PM

Very old thread, I know ... but this may be of use to someone ...

In CD Architect 5.2 (not DVD Architect, but probably they use the same or related software to drive the burning of media). There is, in Options | Preferences - General tab, a 'preference' "Use CD/DVD drives in PnP mode" which apparently is checked by default. I unchecked it (as my drives may be PnP but are not used in that mode, but are permanently connected) and the IOCTL error condition went away.

I could then burn a CD without this problem.