Cameras: FX1 to NX5U?

Sunflux wrote on 7/3/2010, 5:17 AM
I've owned an FX1 since the first month it became available. Despite its age, it continues to be a conversation piece - probably helps that it still looksl ike the current models.

While it's a great camera and has certainly served me well all these years, I keep eyeing the newer models. Right now the NX5U has really caught my eye - it's the first model I've seriously considered buying. While there are of course a lot of nice new features on the new one, I figured it would be better to first figure out what it is that I don't like about the FX1.

* Interlaced. All my clips end up on the web, and deinterlacing is a pain and doesn't always end up with the best results.

* Tape-based. Sure it's cheap mass storage, but I hate having to capture things in real time... never mind how slow it is to find particular clips for re-capture.

* No XLR jacks. When I bought it the pro model wasn't available yet, and I figured I had no reason to want XLR jacks. Now I have a selection of shotgun and wireless microphones and have been living with crummy XLR to 3.5mm adapters which don't always work well.

* Low resolution screen. It's not *horrible*, but I do 90% of my work with the screen, and a boost from 250k to 921k pixels sound really worthwhile.

* Useless iris dial. Seriously.

About the only thing I figure I'd really miss from the FX1 is the zoom ring with end stops. And I love the knurled knob.

Has anyone else made a similar transition? Is the NX5U a good choice or are there other cams I should be looking at?

Comments

JohnnyRoy wrote on 7/3/2010, 5:45 AM
I'm still shooting with my Sony Z1U and I bought the HDR60 Hard Drive Recording Unit so I'm totally tapeless with a 4hr hard drive and I get to edit HDV smoothly.

My only advice about the NX5U is make sure that your computer can handle AVCHD because it takes a LOT more processing power than HDV does. So if you really have a single core "Intel Pentium 4 3.73GHz EE" like your profile says, you're gonna need a camera AND new computer!!!

~jr
Sunflux wrote on 7/3/2010, 5:55 AM
Ugh, that profile is waaaay old. However my current computer is still 3 years old now... was actually supposed to be replaced sometime this year. It's a QX6700 quad core.
farss wrote on 7/3/2010, 7:34 AM
I'd give serious consideration to the Z5, it can be fitted with the HVR-MRC1K which gives you the ability to record to tape and/or CF cards without the dramas of AVCHD.

Bob.
Spot|DSE wrote on 7/3/2010, 8:13 AM
I'd second Bob's comment, particularly if you've got an older computer.
With a newer, multicore system, AVCHD isn't a drama unless you're running more than two streams and then it can be painful.
For what it is, I really like the NXCAM.
Dreamline wrote on 7/3/2010, 10:01 AM
I'd take a look at the Canon XF300. Far better camera than the back focus problematic camcorder known as the NX5U. Seems that the sony's cams in general just ain't what they use to be.

Or if progressive is your thing then the panasonic tm700 is a perfect fit. Progressive footage from this cam is stunning with a nice a price tag.
warriorking wrote on 7/3/2010, 11:40 AM
I have the AX2000 arriving Wednesday, which is the stripped down version of the NX5U, I will give my impressions as soon as it arrives.....
Sunflux wrote on 7/3/2010, 3:27 PM
TM700 is way too small... I do a lot of events with other big cameras around, and size does in fact matter - I suffered for years with a little consumer cam and everyone just stepping in front of me, blocking the shot... with the FX1 that's never been an issue. :-)

XF300...now that's slightly expensive... kind of in EX1 territory?
ushere wrote on 7/3/2010, 5:31 PM
another vote for z5 with cf recorder. can't be beat and NO avchd problems....
Sunflux wrote on 7/3/2010, 6:06 PM
Just how much power really is needed to deal with AVCHD in an acceptable manner?
ushere wrote on 7/3/2010, 9:16 PM
my i7/920/6gb, etc., edits hdv like dv, but for anything more than straight cuts, i transcode avchd to mxf.
rstrong wrote on 7/4/2010, 6:08 PM
Chalk another one up to the Z5U........I love mine coupled with the CF recorder!

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

Sunflux wrote on 7/7/2010, 4:44 AM
Well, I've decided that the best thing to do before getting a new cam... is get a new PC. I used to upgrade every single year, so keeping my current one for 3.5 years means I can now get a really nice one. :-)