Comments

ushere wrote on 11/8/2011, 10:12 PM
dl and register with the number that's on / in the box....
Red Prince wrote on 11/8/2011, 10:24 PM
Not only you can, you should because there has been an update since they originally released version 11.

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Jeff_Smith wrote on 11/8/2011, 10:34 PM
got it, thank you
Steve Mann wrote on 11/8/2011, 11:08 PM
Don't waste the extra dollars for the boxed version. Once you have registered the software you can download the latest release of your version anytime.
Chienworks wrote on 11/9/2011, 5:31 AM
Once again, not exactly true. If you buy the downloaded version you have to download and install it *BEFORE* you can register it. This is also why you can't find your serial number under My Software until *AFTER* you have registered it. But the point is still valid; no need to buy the boxed version.
Red Prince wrote on 11/9/2011, 7:42 AM
Don't waste the extra dollars for the boxed version.

Oh, I disagree it is a waste of dollars! For one, there are extras of the disc. More importantly, you get all your serial numbers printed out and stored inside the box.

Suppose your hard drive crashed, taking your Vegas and all your emails (including the one with your serial numbers) with it and you had no access to the Internet at the moment, or at least not to the SCS servers. And you were under a deadline to edit a project. You have all you need to reinstall Vegas right inside the box.

Chienworks wrote on 11/9/2011, 8:34 AM
Standard procedure for me is to save the emails and serial number in a text file with all associated download files in a folder, then burn this to a CD-R or DVD-R. You can also print out the email with the serial number on it if you really want a printed copy. There are things called "printers" which are still available for purchase. You might even just happen to have one lying around already if you go looking for it.

Generally any extras on the "boxed" disc that are worth anything are also available for download. Those that aren't usually aren't worth using.
Red Prince wrote on 11/9/2011, 9:33 AM
I used to do it that way, too. Except, all printed pages look the same. It is much easier for me to find the distinctive looking box than to sort through many papers trying to find the right one. Same with discs. I have thousands of those. Vegas is just too important to me.

At any rate, if you do not want/need the box, no one is telling you to buy it. But that does not give you the right to be snippy to those of us who prefer to get the box.

Geoff_Wood wrote on 11/9/2011, 3:17 PM
Um 'Backup" mean anything to anybody ?

Boxed versions became irrelevant to me when nicely printed and bound manuals gave way to PDFs on a CD-ROM. Luckily I have access to a printer that does double-sided colour printing, and spiral binding.

geoff
ushere wrote on 11/9/2011, 5:11 PM
Luckily I have access to a printer that does double-sided colour printing, and spiral binding.

green with envy ;-)

box is pretty pointless considering the enclosed version is out of date within a couple or so months. as for extras - not wort the 0 and 1's they're embedded in.

as for serial #, etc., not only do i have cd backups of ALL such info, i also have hard copy paper on file.

after 50 i realized i'd turned into one of those old farts i hated when i was 17...