Can iZotope help me?

rs170a wrote on 9/15/2008, 10:28 AM
I'm editing a 2-camera 3-person interview that I did a month ago.
SInce this was done by me alone, I gave the interviewees 2 mics and told them to share them for their answers.
I was concentrating on running both cameras and not paying attention to the audio.
This turned out to be a big mistake as the 2 mics I picked suffer (a lot) from handling noise.
I was able to use volume envelopes to reduce the more objectionable spots but am still left with a lot of what I consider poor audio.
I have iZotope but haven't had the chance to really become familiar with it.
If there is a kind sould out there who could play with this clip (22 sec. 4 MB. WAV file) to see if there's anything that can be done to make it sound better, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks.

Mike

Comments

Flavio Castellani wrote on 9/15/2008, 10:45 AM
interesting "quest".
I'll check the audio as soon as I get back home (from work).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
/Flavio
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 11:00 AM
On the case! Grazie
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 11:14 AM
Eh? Mike I can't download the file - sorry!

G
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 11:16 AM
Done!
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 11:17 AM
Give me an hour . . .
johnmeyer wrote on 9/15/2008, 11:21 AM
An hour? Com'on Grazie.

Here's the result of four minutes' work:

Fixed WAV

Link good for seven days.

Magic, eh?
rs170a wrote on 9/15/2008, 11:51 AM
John, magic doesn't begin to describe it.
As long as you don't have to kill me if you tell me, can you share how you did this?
If it can be saved as a preset and emailed to me, that would be great!!!

Mike
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 12:17 PM
I DID have supper! Sorry . . seesshh / /

Grazie
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 12:22 PM
John, heard it - hmmm.... is that it? OK . . . . I was "looking" for more redux than that in IzoRX. Maybe I can't. What Tool and settings did YOU have? I was going with Denoiser and mapping out the "plosives", but found I removed more "voice" of the same freq.

Please email me your sets?

Ta!

Grazie

Dan Sherman wrote on 9/15/2008, 12:33 PM
I remember the first time we used Izotope to rid the audio track of the drone of air conditioners in a courtyard shoot.
The producer was at my elbow, and he couldn't get the smile off his face when he say the result.
It was pristine audio we heard.
It is, for a non-techie type like me, sheer magic and nothing less.
All thanks to Uncle Grazie and his back up beep yarn that sold me on this valuable tool.
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 12:41 PM
Hiyah Peas! - <Blush>

Well this ain't no definable Beeps. This is a freq very similar in quality to the Speaker.

Not easy this one. I heard JM's attempt and, well, I'd want to do some more?

But Mike sounds pleased . . so, there you go!

Grazie

rs170a wrote on 9/15/2008, 1:03 PM
Grazie, if you think you can do better than John (and it isn't going to keep you from doing something more important!!), feel free to do so.

Mike
(time to go teach some students now so I'll check back in 2 hr.)
johnmeyer wrote on 9/15/2008, 1:58 PM
I thought he just wanted to get rid of the "thumps," so that's all I did. When eliminating transients, it is a manual process. You look for the offending sound in the freq/time display, select it, and then use one of the Spectral Repair tools to eliminate it. Thus, the concept of presets does not apply.

There are a few plosives and some sibilant issues in the clip, but I chose to ignore them. I don't know of any tool which does a great job on these, although if it was really critical, you can do the same thing I did to get rid of all those thumps and use the same technique on plosives and sibilants. Sibilants are easier because those frequencies show up in the top of the display. The problem is that you don't want to eliminate them, you just want to reduce them. Therefore, you use the Attenuate portion of the Spectral Repair instead of the Replace or Pattern or Partial.

Oh, and Grazie, who said you get to eat dinner?
Grazie wrote on 9/15/2008, 2:17 PM
<BELCH>

Well, <BELCH> I was trying to make a <BELCH> one-size-fits-ALL <BELCH> profile for the plosives or knocks or <BELCH> what sounds like AGC "thumps" from a badly handled on camera mic.

And ONE doesn't call a meal taken in the evening "that", ONE calls a meal in the evening "supper" - don't you know! <BELCH>

Grazie
LarryP wrote on 9/15/2008, 7:07 PM
I've had good results on plosives with the rectangle select tool (fourth from the right) to highlight the low frequency stuff and the hit the DEL key. Tedious but effective.

Larry
rs170a wrote on 9/16/2008, 7:56 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, both here and to my work email!!
It is greatly appreciated.
I plan to tackle this job over the next week or so and will report back if I have any more questions.

Mike
Grazie wrote on 9/16/2008, 8:07 AM
" the rectangle select tool " - yes Larry that's as good as I got it .. I still feel it isn't acceptable. I can "see" the thuds, but they are so wound into the voice parts that separation IS an issue.

What I also did was to get a high-register, sounded like the guy was talking through his cell at me, but the thuds had gone. I then spent time trying to put back some mid-range .. forget it.

I'm wanting to see if Izo has some tips?

Grazie

Houston Haynes wrote on 9/17/2008, 7:12 AM
How about a multi-band compressor with a hard clamp on the bottom end?
LarryP wrote on 9/17/2008, 2:12 PM
Has anybody found any Rx forums?

Larry